Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

2 Posts

November 14th, 2018 17:00

PowerEdge R810 - RAID Adapter Unrecoverable Error

Hi,

I bought an old PowerEdge R810 a few weeks (specs below). When I started the server the first time, I got the error:

'RAID Adapter
Unrecoverable Error!!!
Please check the SDRAM connection.
If problems persist contact Tech Support.'

The former owner told me that the server was still working right before shipping and he just took out both SD vFlash cards with the ESXi installation. (I'm new to servers. Do I need the SD cards to run the server or can I boot from the HDDs if the RAID is working again?)

I haven't been able to enter the RAID controller by hiting + (if these are the right keys), but I thought it is maybe not a dead controller and an update of all firmware and software could help. Since, the server is not connected to the internet I tried to do so via USB stick, but failed unfortunately.

I used several guides from the internet and tried Dell EMC Repository Manager and older versions of Dell Repository Manager to create a data file which is accepted by the Lifecycle Controller. None of them worked, only the catalog.xml file has been successfully read, but the download of the update data itself from the USB failed.

Does somebody knows how to update such an old system via USB nowadays?

Any chance to fix the RAID adapter or do I have to replaced it?

Cheers,

Eric

Hardware:

Dell R810 2U
iDrac 6 Enterprise
PERC H700 RAID-Controller 1GB
Internal Dual SD-Modul
256GB DDR3 ECC
6x300GB 10KSAS HDD
2xE7 8870
2xFlexMem Bridge

Software:

Dell OS Driver Pack 15.04.00 A00
Dell Lifecycle Controller 1.5.5.27
BIOS 2.10.0
iDrac6 2.90
Broadcom NetXtreme II Gigabit Ethernet 6.2.12

• 

6.2K Posts

November 15th, 2018 09:00

Hello

I think the SD module is optional. If it is installed without SD cards then you will likely receive errors. It should not stop the system from completing POST or boot.

The PERC initialization issue will stop the controller from functioning. I suggest making sure the card and all cables are properly connected. If you have added hardware to the system then I would disconnect that hardware. A faulty or incompatible disk, cable, backplane, or anything else attached to the RAID controller can cause initialization issues.

You can find documentation on the system support page. The PERC support page has documentation for the PERC.

http://www.dell.com/support/

http://www.dell.com/storagecontrollermanuals/

Thanks

2 Posts

November 15th, 2018 16:00

Hi Daniel,

thank you for clarifing the SD card 'problem'.

So I should only focus on the RAID controller.

Since I didn't installed or attached any new hardware on the server and the server was working before, it can't be any incompatible hardware. I already reconnected the RAID adapter, Riser, HDDs and so on, but the error persists. Booting without HDDs doesn't change anything and of course, if I have removed the RAID adapter the error is gone.

At the Lifecycle log history is an entry about the 'PERC H700 Adapter Firmware was removed' from the first day the error appears.

Any chance it is just the software or is it the controller gone bad during shipping and I should buy a new one?

I read some blogs about this and they all ended up purchasing a new PERC.

Thanks

Eric

No Events found!