Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 25th, 2009 13:00

PowerEdge SC1435 memory type?

I bought some ram to upgrade my SC1435.  I'm going to replace the two existing sticks with new ram.  I bought some (8 sticks) Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM ECC Fully Buffered DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Server Memory Model KVR667D2Q8F5/4G.  I can't install this because the memory slot doesn't line up.  Did I get the wrong kind?  According to Dell and Crucial I just need PC2-5300.  A sticker on my existing memory says PC2-5300P while the ram I bought says PC2-5300F.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  Thanks.

1.2K Posts

March 27th, 2009 12:00

This is from the online manual, DDR2 667 registered....

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

9.3K Posts

March 26th, 2009 07:00

If you use the Kingston memory configuration from www.kingston.com you can see that there's no mention of FB-DIMMS. (compare to the 2950 III's memory here that does mention FB-DIMMs)

On Crucial's site they provide this info: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=PowerEdge%20SC1435. It also doesn't mention FB-DIMMS unlike their 2950 III section.

AMD processors don't use FB-DIMMs (the memory controller is in the processor, so one can say the processor doesn't use the memory type, unlike the Intel processors (short of the new Nehalem architecture) where the memory controller is (was) in the chipset and the Intel 5x00-series chipsets use FB-type memory.

In other words; you bought the wrong memory :emotion-6:.

13 Posts

March 27th, 2009 07:00

Another helpful forum pointed me to the spec sheet, but it doesn't mention anything other than DDR2 667.  They suggested I need registered ram.  Also, double checking on crucial's site, it does mention registered (now that I pay more attention) and a few google hits for poweredge sc1435 memory does turn up registered. So I guess that's probably what I'll go with, I'd just like to get some reassurance before I go off and order another $3k of the wrong memory (I'm upgrading 3 servers).

No Events found!