Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 10th, 2010 23:00

PowerEdge SC440 power supply - standard ATX?

I've got a PowerEdge SC440 system that I think the power supply has gone out on. My problems started with a hard drive failure (occasional errors and eventually SMART reported imminent failure). I replaced it with a larger drive and things have gone down hill from there. I'm running a software RAID 1 mirror and I could never get all the way through syncing the new drive before I started getting more hard drive errors. Now, after trying various things, the system won't power on anymore. At the moment, I have all the hard drive disconnected (both power and SATA cables) and all I get when I plug the system power cable in is a few quick amber flashes of the power button. Based on the manual, that seems to indicate power supply failure. The system has a 305 watt power supply in it and I have a spare 380 watt ATX supply on hand, but I'm afraid to hook it up. From reading other posts on this forum, it appears that "newer" Dell systems use a standard ATX power supply, but can anyone confirm that my specific model does? The cable pinouts seem to match (based on color of each of the wires in the main connector) and everything visually seems correct, but I don't want to fry my motherboard.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Ryan

2 Posts

June 11th, 2010 21:00

I've answered my own question. I checked all the pins with a multimeter and things seems to match, so I got brave and plugged it in. The SC440 is off-the-shelf ATX power supply compatible - at least electrically. Due to the way the case is designed, my generic power supply would not properly mount in the case, but at least I was able to confirm that the system was okay. Sort of...

After all that, I hooked the old power supply back up and it mysteriously started working as well. I think maybe I've got a flaky cable somewhere that is causing my problem. For now, the system is running and I'm not going to tempt fate.

Ryan

No Events found!