Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

August 22nd, 2016 19:00

PowerEdge T20 with One Intel Xeon processor E3-1225v3 memory

Just got a PowerEdge T20 XXXXXXX Mfg Year 2016 has One Intel Xeon processor E3-1225v3

can i use this memory?

four banks of HYNIX 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-12800R-11-11-E2 HMT31GR7CFR4C-PB T8 AE 1222

It came with a PC3L i think that is low voltage?  I believe the above is 1.5 volts.

If it works, will it affect it in any way?

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2016 12:00

Hello.

The memory in question is Registered memory module, RDIMM and is not compatible with the T20 server. T20 only supports Unbuffered memory module, UDIMMs. Here is the P/N for a similar supported memory module: 96MCT. It can be purchased from third party vendors or Dell spare parts, Tel. +1 800 456 3355

5 Posts

August 23rd, 2016 12:00

wow just talked to dell they said work fine, also read this online

There are three types of DDR 3 memory support by the 12G PowerEdge systems: Unbuffered DIMM (UDIMM), Registered DIMM (RDIMM), and Load Reduced DIMMs (LRDIMM). These DIMM types cannot be mixed in a single system, you must select the type of DIMM appropriate for your workload at the time of purchase.

UDIMM is an unbuffered, low density, low-latency DIMM that doesn't include a register or buffer chip. UDIMMs are generally used in applications requiring the lowest possible latency

RDIMM is a registered DIMM that provides high signal integrity -- performing parity checking to detect improper addresses or commands -- and increased performance for heavy workloads. RDIMMs experience slightly increased performance for heavy workloads. RDIMMs experience slightly increased latency and power consumption over UDIMMs due to the onboard register. 

LRDIMM uses a buffer to reduce memory loading to a single load on all DDR signals, allowing for greater density.

The following table lists the memory types supported by the new PowerEdge servers.

5 Posts

August 23rd, 2016 13:00

yes i have seen it both ways in dell literature, I see how you came to that conclusion, the tech guy on phone said work fine, hope to fire it up thursday or friday will let you know.  Thanks for the help

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2016 13:00

There are a couple of Dell servers that belong to the 12G system including R720, T420 etc. I have looked up supported memory on this particular T20 server and not RDIMMs are mentioned as supported. Only UDIMMs are supported. I could be wrong based on the memory information that you have provided. Refer to the link below to the T20 Users' Guide pages 45 -46 for more information: http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/poweredge-t20_Owner's%20Manual_en-us.pdf 

5 Posts

August 23rd, 2016 14:00

curiosity got me fired it up, you are correct, fires up fine on the unbuffered not the registered. thanks again

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2016 14:00

Great! Let us know when you have any further inquiries.

No Events found!