Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 4th, 2015 07:00

PowerEdge T320

Does anyone know what "CPH" stand for?

It's listed in the System Board Connectors section of the PowerEdge T320 user manual (excerpt below).

4  SLOT1 PCIE-G2-X4(CPH)  PCIe card connector 1
5  SLOT2 PCIE-G2-X1(CPH)  PCIe card connector 2
6  SLOT3 PCIE-G3-X16(CPU1)  PCIe card connector 3
7  SLOT4 PCIE-G3-X4(CPU1)  PCIe card connector 4
8  SLOT6 PCIE-G3-X4(CPU1)  PCIe card connector 6

• 

8.7K Posts

May 4th, 2015 17:00

Hi,

It stands for chipset. Some of the pci-e lanes are run by the CPU and some are on the system board.

11 Posts

May 4th, 2015 19:00

Thanks for the quick answer!

Do you know if it matters which slot a video card is installed in?

I was told by sales that it should go in one of the CPU1 slots, but I would like to be sure they were correct. I'm looking for a second opinion because they could not tell me what CPH meant.

• 

8.7K Posts

May 5th, 2015 09:00

11 Posts

May 5th, 2015 14:00

Duh! I have a copy of the PDF manual here (that's how the original question about CPH came up, because that's where I read it), but I totally overlooked that information. THANKS!

Looking at page 86, I see in the GPU Card Installation Guidelines section that you can only install a GPU in a system with a redundant power supply? Really?

The following link is what Dell Sales sold me when I told them "Hi, I need a recommendation for a video card to put into a Dell PowerEdge T320 server to support a Dell S2340L monitor." I also provided the Service Tag, so they should have known exactly what configuration the system was shipped with.

PNY Technologies Quadro NVS 300 512 MB Graphics card - DDR3 - PCI Express <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Can you tell me if I'm going to run into trouble when I go out to install this card tomorrow?

• 

8.7K Posts

May 5th, 2015 14:00

Since it isn’t a validated card I am not sure. Max power consumption is only about a 1/10th of the validated cards, so you may be fine.

11 Posts

May 5th, 2015 15:00

Okay, I'll give a shot.

Thank you so much for all your help and quick replies! :)

11 Posts

May 6th, 2015 20:00

Just to follow up. I went out there today to install the video card mentioned above, and all went well. So, that card will work with that server even though it only had a single 350W power supply.

Thanks again for your help!

No Events found!