Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 27th, 2022 15:00

PowerEdge T550 - BOSS-S2 Upgrade

Hello,

I've previously purchased a PowerEdge T550, but opted to leave off the BOSS-S2 module at build time. Now that I've been running the system for a few months, I am working on reconfiguring how some of my drives are arranged - and plan to pass through the RAID controller and an HBA to a storage-focused VM. 

It seems the cleanest way to move the hypervisor out into its own separate controller (to avoid passthrough to the VM) would be to add the BOSS-S2 module. Looking at the parts available from the support page, I found the following: 

1. Dell BOSS-S2 Controller Card without Cable 
  2. Dell 480GB SSD M2 SATA 6GB/s 512e Hard Drive - Single Stick 

I wanted to confirm a few things here before I put in the order:

• Is this BOSS-S2 card the same that would have come with the T550 originally? Looking at the manual, I see it slots in to a bay on the front. As there's no picture, it's hard to tell if it is the same one.

• The BOSS-S2 listing mentions "without cable". Is there a separate cable item I need to purchase? Is the cabling already present in the T550? I don't see a listing for "BOSS-S2 Controller Card with Cable".  
  • Is the M.2 SSD I listed compatible with the BOSS-S2?

• I am working on the assumption that the BOSS-S2 will show up as a separate disk controller. Is that accurate? 

Thanks a lot in advance for any help. 

- Clay

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

November 28th, 2022 19:00

I believe it will come with all required parts other than cable and M.2 drives. I am not sure on M.2 Blank also. You can  contact Dell sales to get more details on that.

Below are the part number for cables required for BOSS S2 controller for PowerEdge T550

CX96J - ASSY,CBL,PCIE,BOSS,MB,TWR

CX9KC - ASSY,CBL,PWR,BOSS,MB,TWR

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

November 27th, 2022 19:00

You can refer below link for more details on BOSS S2 Controller

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-uk/boss-s-1/boss-s2_ug/dell-technologies-boot-optimized-storage-solution-s2?guid=guid-fb5b71a2-864d-467a-8e4b-1d0fc3930152&lang=en-us

Cabling required for BOSS S2 for PowerEdge T550 various configuration can be found from below link

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/poweredge-t550/t550_ism/cable-routing?guid=guid-72b055aa-bb18-420d-bb5a-cf502b30ce01&lang=en-us

BOSS S2 controller will be shown as separate controller on the system and you can create RAID 0 or RAID 1 on it.

The controller card and M.2 drives which you mentioned in the link is the correct BOSS S2 controller and M.2 drives for PowerEdge T550

November 28th, 2022 08:00

Thank you Shine, appreciate the responses. Just a few follow up questions:

1. Is the listing for "Controller Card without cable" the entire S2 module minus the M.2 drives?

2. Any additional hardware (bracket, M.2 blank, M.2 carrier etc) needed?
  3. As my T550 did not ship with the S2 module originally, it seems from the cable routing you provided I do not have the required cables (signal and power cable). How can I purchase those? 
No Events found!