Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

February 9th, 2018 01:00

PowerEdge T640 fan full speed after installing graphic card (NVIDIA P2000)

We installed a Nvidia Quadro P2000 graphic card in PowerEdge T640, then the fan runs at its full speed. Suggestions from the discussion community show that we can disable PCI-E 3rd Party thermal response by iDrac or RACADM, but in the T640's iDrac9, there's no option like "ThirdPartyPCIFanResponse", and by command of "racadm get System.ThermalSettings", I got the information here: 

------------------------------------------------

[Key=System.Embedded.1#ThermalSettings.1]
#AirExhaustTempSupport=Not Supported
#FanSpeedHighOffsetVal=75
#FanSpeedLowOffsetVal=25
#FanSpeedMaxOffsetVal=100
#FanSpeedMediumOffsetVal=50
FanSpeedOffset=Off
#MFSMaximumLimit=100
#MFSMinimumLimit=1
MinimumFanSpeed=255
PCIeSlotLFMSupport=Not Supported
#SystemCFMSupport=Not Supported
ThermalProfile=Minimum Power

-------------------------------------

Do these messages mean the PowerEdge T640 has no function of disabling PCI-E 3rd Party thermal response?

It's really annoying, and I thank anyone who tries to help me.

Regards,

Haichao

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 9th, 2018 08:00

Hcyuhit,

The P2000 isn't listed as a supported card for the T640, which could explain why the fans are ramping up. The listed Nvidias would be the Tesla series 

P40 - part KM3C2 

K80M - part HHCJ6

M10 - part H56H0

M60 - part PK3RJ

P100 16GB - part RGKP9

P100 12GB - part 1V86H

If you like, you can PM the svc tag to me and I will check the hardware to see if what is installed may be causing it to compensate for the heat generated. That and the environment it is in.  

Let me know.

T640 manual

1 Rookie

• 

1.2K Posts

February 12th, 2018 12:00

look at page 193-194, it talks about cooling. http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/idrac9-lifecycle-controller-v3.00.00.00_user's%20guide_en-us.pdf

in the idrac its - configuration > system settings > Hardware settings > Fans configuration then scroll down to PCIe Airfow settings. you can configure each slot by setting the drop down to custom.

Hope this helps. i don't know the racadm commands for this.

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2018 03:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply, I have send you the service tag days ago, could you please help me check if there is some hardware problem?

Cheers,

Haichao

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2018 03:00

Hi Tommo,

I just had a check of the iDrac, after going to Fans configuration, there is only three options, which are :

Thermal Profile,

Fan Speed Offset,

Minimum Fan Speed in PWM (% of Max).

There is no other more option like you mentioned 'PCIe Airfow settings', where could be wrong?

Thanks.

February 23rd, 2018 09:00

Hello,

We are experiencing exactly the same issue with our T640, except that we are trying to install Nvidia 1080Ti cards.

We tried the 'racadm' command as explained in another thread in this forum, and got exactly the same response as Haichao.

We also tried the 'ipmitool' trick as explained in this document an error pops out indicating that the command is not recognized. In fact, we tried every described way in the aforementioned document, with no success.

Please, help us to fix this issue.

Cheers,

Michael

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2018 11:00

There doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, other than the card not being listed as supported. It doesn't mean it won't work, but rather that we haven't tested and approved that card works. So we can't guarantee how the card or server will react with it installed. 

March 2nd, 2018 09:00

The solution has been found in another thread :

https://www.dell.com/community/Systems-Management/iDRAC9-impossible-to-modify-Fan-Response-for-3rd-Party-PCI-cards/m-p/6021679/highlight/true#M25681

Dell servers of 14th generation use another racadm command to modify fan response to third party cards.

Try with :

racadm set System.PCIESlotLFM..LFMMode 2

with the number connected to the GPU.

4 Posts

April 13th, 2018 09:00

Hi,

I was really glad when reading this solution... until I tried:

>racadm get System.PCIESlotLFM.2
[Key=System.Embedded.1#PCIeSlotLFM.2]
#3rdPartyCard=Yes
#CardType=USBXHCI
CustomLFM=0
#MaxLFM=440
#Slot=2
#SlotState=Defined
#TargetLFM=231

>racadm set System.PCIESlotLFM.2.LFMMode 2
ERROR: SWC0242 : A required license is missing or expired.
       Obtain an appropriate license and try again, or contact your service
       provider for additional details.
Required License -- Power Monitoring

This is joke, isn't it?

I'm really pi... off - paying thounds of dollars and than this!
Can't believe it...

Sorry guys - but this is really a fail!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 13th, 2018 10:00

The base IDRAC comes with Express which has a good set of features.  If you wan the enterprise features there is licensing involved.

To purchase a perpetual license or obtain evaluation licenses, customers can contact their Dell representative or go to:
http://www.dell.com/us/enterprise/p/servers?redirect=1

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/telligent-evolution-components-attachments/13-4491-00-00-20-39-87-35/CMC-and-DRAC-Licensing-HMC-CHART-for-VRTX-1July13.pdf

White Paper on IDRAC licensing here:

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-components-postattachments/00-20-06-78-92/iDRAC7_5F00_Licensing_5F00_White_5F00_Paper_5F00_incl_5F00_ValueLine.pdf

4 Posts

April 16th, 2018 01:00

xD 

no, we don't want to buy a license for a default setting

No more comments on this - it's rediculous and a pain

No Events found!