Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2008 17:00

Poweredge 500 SC - I need to larger drive

I currently have 2 - 20 gig hard drives with a C & D partition using Raid 1. I am out of disk space and would like to replace both drives with a larger hard drives. Would it be as easy as ghosting the current drive to a larger drive? And by doing this will I upset the Raid?

24 Posts

April 10th, 2008 09:00

we recently did the same - but on a linux and software raid1. with windows it should be a little more comfortable.

This is my tipp - but I advise you to be very cautious and I can not gurantee that this really works

* First make a backup

* Then for example you can change the second disk with a larger one. The RAID will be degraded and you have to add the new disk to your RAID-container. So it will replicate your two partitions to your new HDD. (It's possible that you first have to format your new disk exactly like the old one - I don't now how windows is handling this)

* If this is done you can change the first disk and do the same again. Then you can format the rest of the new free space or you can expand your partitions with a third-party tool (a reboot will then be necessary).

So if you have hotspare disks you don't have downtime if you have a RAID-management tool isntalled where you can control your RAID-containers in Windows.

No Events found!