Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 10th, 2011 22:00

Poweredge 840 Sata Port issue

Well my Poweredge 840 just arrived today via Ebay and I am having a hard time figuring out my Sata connection issue. I am using the Sata port connectors on the motherboard. Sata 0,1,2,3. For some reason the only port recognizing anything is Port 0. I connected a 40GB HDD, 1TB HDD, and a Sata Optical Drive and all three showed up in Port 0 however none of them will show up on Port 1,2,3. I don't see how that is possible?

Specs:

Xeon x3210 w/ 4GB ECC RAM, DIOS Version A05.

the only thing I have not tried is updating the BIOS from A05 to A08 but I do not have a floppy drive/floppy disk to test it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Danny

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 11th, 2011 08:00

In the F2 BIOS each SATA port is listed, are you able to highlight each SATA port and turn it from OFF, to ON or AUTO?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 11th, 2011 06:00

If you are not going to be using RAID at all, I would ensure there is no RAID controller installed on the server, as it may interfere.

You may also try selecting each one of the SATA ports, In the F2 BIOS,  use space,+,- to see if you can change the status from off to enabled or on.

Also in the F2 BIOS, make sure under integrated devices, the SATA controller is set to ATA.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks.

October 11th, 2011 07:00

Thank you for replying! Of my knowledge there is no raid controller installed. There is nothing in the pci ports. And the description, at the time of purchase, did not mention any raid controller just straight sata connection to the motherboard. I tried messing with sata 1,2,3 and each time with or without a hard drive installed it did not recognize the hard drive or optical and it displayed capacity: n/a with or without anything installed. For integrated devices. That was the first thing I checked last night. I even turned the controller off then rebooted and turned it back on to see if that would correct the issue. But no luck. So I'm pretty stumped on this one. Danny

I meant to write it shows auto and below it shows capacity: n/a

Off the top of my head, I will confirm later when I'm off of work, I can press enter on each sata port and either select auto or it will display capacity: n/a. I'm not sure if "off" is displayed. I will check as soon as I can.

October 11th, 2011 10:00

Well it was a brain fart and I feel like an odiot because I'm very well rounded in computers and troubleshooting/ fixing them. I didn't put two and two together and press the + sign to turn the sata port from off to on. Thanks for your help!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 12th, 2011 06:00

Hey I am glad to hear it worked, never hurts to start with the simple things.

Take care.

August 5th, 2013 21:00

I have the same issue, but the solution did not work.

I had two 160 GB SATA drives installed in ports 0 and 1 and installed a new 1 GB SATA in port 3.

Now, SATA 2 and 3 read "Unknown Device". I tried removing the new drive and no joy, the drive in port 1 will not read.

I turned the drives to "Auto" but capacity remains unk. Port 3 is off.

1 Rookie

• 

44 Posts

September 11th, 2022 14:00

I have the same problem with the SATA port 1 on my R210 II.
I don't have connected a device to this port and it stay on auto, model and capacity unlnown.
If I turn of the port, it come back to auto automatically after the reboot.
I d'nt know why, and this not authorize the server to boot without pressing F1 key physical on the server.

1 Rookie

• 

44 Posts

September 11th, 2022 15:00

Problem fixed by reinstalling the same and the last BIOS version: 2.10.0

No Events found!