Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

August 8th, 2018 21:00

Poweredge FS12-TY (C2100) BIOS Compatibility

A few years ago, I purchased a used Dell PowerEdge C2100. It works great to this day, but I have always wanted more information on the BIOS and BMC. Because the majority of the used C2100 servers available are Dell Custom (Cloud?) Solutions (DCS), it is unclear what firmware is appropriate. For example, on Dells website, the current C2100 BIOS is version is C99Q3B25. In Dell's FTP archive, the BIOS versions up to 3B22 are versioned as C99Q, ie C99Q3B22.

My BIOS is S99Q3B15 and the model is FS12-TY and has the following definition when I look it up on Dell's site with my service tag:
CLOUD, DCS 2100, 1xE5606, 32G B, 12 X 146GB,1xPERC6/I w/Batt , TENCENT A5

My system has been modified. I am running dual E5506, replaced PERC6i with H700, and SAS expander backplane with standard breakout backplane. Never had any issues with swapping parts. 

There is no information available on the difference in the C and S BIOS or if they are compatible or what the difference between units whose MAC address comes back as DELL or Quanta (Mine is Quanta) as well as differences in the DELL and Quanta rebrand.

Can the experts here help us understand this and perhaps provide links to compatible software?? It would be a great service to the community to start a thread with links and information on this by people who know as these units are getting more and more popular with home users (like me!).  

• 

6.2K Posts

August 9th, 2018 08:00

Hello

If your system description has DCS(Data Center Solutions) in it then it is a DCS system. I recommend that you not perform any hardware updates on a DCS system. Documentation and downloads for DCS systems are not available. They may be identical to their cloud line counterpart or there may be significant differences.

Thanks

5 Posts

August 9th, 2018 20:00

@DELL-Daniel My wrote:

Hello

If your system description has DCS(Data Center Solutions) in it then it is a DCS system. I recommend that you not perform any hardware updates on a DCS system. Documentation and downloads for DCS systems are not available. They may be identical to their cloud line counterpart or there may be significant differences.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Daniel. This is the general consensus, but there has to be indicators about which situation is the case for each system so that users know what options are available for their system. The Quanta site no longer provides the BIOS for their systems, which is very frustrating.

Wouldn't the mainboard part numbers describe which BIOS is compatible?
I have been able to find three different part numbers for "C2100" systems:

1. 0PN94W - This is the board I have and the DCS/Quanta FS12-TY board.
  2. 0P19C9 - Dell C2100 board?
  3. 0TJXMG - Dell C2100 Board?

As a worst case, one should be able to buy a Dell C2100 board compatible with the firmware on the Dell site to take advantage of the new firmware updates. One was just released too!

I was thinking that a resource could be created where users can post their mainboard part number and BIOS revision and even rips of their BIOS as a type of repository. Perhaps this is not the proper place for this. Any suggestions?

No Events found!