Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 25th, 2011 13:00

Poweredge R710 CPU blank

I have a R710 that already has two CPU's in it.  Due to some software licensing requirements, I have been tasked to remove CPU 2 to reduce the number of cores.  I know that this can be done, but in the documentation it says if you are running only one CPU in the system that you need to install the, CPU and thermal blanks.   I have looked everywhere and cannot find the part numbers for these items.  Can anyone assist or steer me the right way.

Thanks

802 Posts

October 25th, 2011 14:00

theflash is correct about losing the memory in slots B when the second processor is removed.  Here is a part number for a processor blank for the R710.

Part # WK640

Here are a couple phone numbers to sales/parts departments.

1-800-357-3355

1-800-999-3355

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 25th, 2011 13:00

Can't help you with the part numbers, but just as a "head's up" ... once you remove the second CPU, you will no longer be able to use the memory associated with that CPU, cutting your system's available memory in half.

8 Posts

October 25th, 2011 14:00

Perfect thank you very much...

I am well aware about the memory when I remove the second CPU, thank you for the reminder.

8 Posts

October 26th, 2011 08:00

It is an Oracle issue, but thank you anyway.

847 Posts

I think I would just throw free VMware ESXi on it before I would do what they ask.    :)  Then you can simply asisgn the needed resources for licensing.  

• 

8.8K Posts

isitech,

I know I am joining the discussion late, but wanted to bring up a valid point for you, pertaining to the licensing. I know due to licensing you are removing the 2nd processor to reduce cores. With the R710 you can go to the BIOS (F2) and then select Processors settings and then limit the cores under Number of Cores per Processor. I am not certain of your license details, but this may get your cores below where they need to be and also give you the second processor and the rest of the dimms.

8 Posts

October 26th, 2011 09:00

That was the first thing I did, I went into the bios and changed the core settings, Oracle did not approve.  I physically have to remove the second CPU and take a photo of the system showing just one CPU, for proof.

5 Posts

May 9th, 2019 12:00

I just happened by this thread but I had to chime in and say that is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard, that they want you to take a picture to prove one of the CPUs has been removed... why wouldn't you just put the CPU back in after you take the picture?

Never change, Oracle, never change...

No Events found!