Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 10th, 2013 11:00

Problems with drac5 virtual media

Hello, I am trying to install Debian Wheezy 7.1 on my Poweredge 1950 III. I sucessfully managed to mount (just once) netinst 200mb + .iso image and to start installation via my Drac5 [fw v1.60].

However after long time of partitioning disks and so on it did not let me to install the new system, something like cd-rom unmounted, so i stucked on some step telling me some error about debian code or what. So till now, like 2+ hours I am trying to mount the same iso on the same machine via IE 9 or Firefox and no success. In Java it gives me always some session error when clicking to Map the disk and if not, then i dont see it after pushing F11 to see the Boot Device Menu, VIRTUAL CD-ROM is not there :/ seen it just once..Native almost always connects .iso, but I still dont see it in Boot Device Menu

I am a bit confused what to do to make it work. I've user auto-attach and java [not native] and not sure what to use in Boot Once Option [Virtual Media / Disabled / PXE]. And not even sure, when to mount, when the system is off, or when it is loading..?

Thanks in advance :]

July 11th, 2013 00:00

Solved the problem!!!

It looks like Rac went into strange state, that could not attach my CD, but it acted like it did. System started to boot as twice as slow. Connecting to ssh rac, executing racadm reset soft, attaching .iso, restarting machine (voila machine boots 2x faster), going into Boot Device Menu and VIRTUAL CDROM and VIRTUAL FLOPPY is present, now I can boot again and continue installing :)

So the problem is on RAC, that it goes into some 'failure state' and behaves like it is ok, needs restart and then everything works!

• 

8.8K Posts

July 10th, 2013 13:00

ZippoWindproof,

Do you have local access to the server? If so I would physically install the ISO disk in the server. If you have no access you will need to go to the Drac web interface and then mount the ISO via the Virtual Media section. Then you reboot and load the OS, I am not certain if the raid controller driver is present on that media or not.

Here is a link to a RHEL version of the Perc 5/6 driver -

www.dell.com/.../poweredge-1950

Let me know if this helps.

• 

8.8K Posts

July 10th, 2013 16:00

In the Drac Web interface go to System - Media, then see if Value is showing Detached or Attached. If it is showing DETACHED then do the following to attach the ISO.

Under Media tab is CONFIGURATION, in the Value column ensure that there is a check in ATTACH VIRTUAL MEDIA. Once that is done then confirm that the Value on previous page is showing ATTACHED now.

Ensure that the Current Status value is NOT CONNECTED. If the Value field displays CONNECTED, disconnect from the image or drive before reconnecting.

Ensure that the Active Session value is AVAILABLE. If the Value field displays IN USE, wait for the existing virtual media session to be released, or terminate it by going to the Session Management tab under Remote Access and terminating the active virtual media session. Only one active virtual media session is allowed at one time.

Select ISO Image File and enter the location of or browse to the ISO image file.

Click CONNECT. If the connection is authenticated, the connection status becomes Connected, and a list of all connected drives is displayed. All available drives you selected become available on the target system’s console as though they are real drives.

Hello, I have local access [have to go by car over 30 minutes], but what I am trying is to install via web interface drac5 1.60 via mounted virtual media Debian But I am not lucky to mount it, but once i already mounted it. Please suggest me, how to correctly mount the .iso, because I cant solve that. I have perc6i SAS and Perc5/E for my MD1000 present, but it has nothing to do with the installation of the Operating system.

Thanks for your reply, exatly this I am doing whole day and no success. Had once success it appeared in Boot Device Menu and I could click VIRTUAL CD-ROM, but that was just once, since that time I am trying everything and still dont see VIRTUAL CD-ROM and can not boot from the cd :/ Even i choose .iso and click mapped, it does not attach :/

July 10th, 2013 23:00

This is all I see

Attach/Detach status Attached

Active Session In Use

Current Status Connected

Encryption Enabled  

Floppy/USB Drive No Floppy/USB  

CD/DVD-ROM Drive C:\Users\ZippoW\Downloads\firmware-7.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso

but it is not visible in Boot Device Menu....

185 Posts

December 10th, 2014 07:00

Just a note, Java box Virtual machine session (where drive or iso is mapped) MUST stay opened during the operation on the server (Virtual Media CD boot)

Seb

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2018 17:00

Very slow installation Windows Server 2008 on PowerEdge

It still very slow with Dell R730xd, I install OS from ISO file - Virtual CD over IDRAC
I update all new firmware of Idrac and also Raid controller

It only speed < 300Kbyte/s

My line is 100Mbit LAN

(Even If it only 10Mbit LAN, speed will reach 1MByte/s, not too slow like that)

I think this is Very Basic problem, why DELL not fix it for many year to now???

I use SupperMicro many year, it very fast with IPMI Virtual CD iso file

No Events found!