Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

2 Posts

April 11th, 2019 07:00

R610 H700 Single Disk RAID0 Failure

Had a single drive that I added to the server I had in a colocation datacenter for non-sensitive storage.  Had to be in a RAID-0.

Then, a few months later, that drive failed.  The datacenter is not close, and it wasn't critical, so I waited until I needed to go out for another reason.  On that trip, I physically replaced the failed drive, as well as added another drive.  Then I left.

Later, I remotely connected but when I tried to get into the virtual disk wizard in open manage, it tells me that "The create virtual disk wizard failed to launch. A new virtual disk cannot be created while preserved cache exists. If the failed array can be made healthy, preserved cache can be flushed. If not, discard preserved cache under controller actions and create a new virtual disk."

But when i go to discard preserved cache, I get a message warning me that it will erase all data.  This is a production hyper-v server, and while the VMs are backed up, I really don't want to take it down and have to rebuild it just to swap out a bad drive.

Do I need to go back and remove the replacement disk first?  Assign it to a global spare?  Where do I go from here to fix this?

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

April 11th, 2019 10:00

With this being a RAID 0 volume, the data is already lost. Discarding preserved cache would mean that all data within the cache would be lost, though. It won't delete other data. To recreate your RAID 0, you'd need to install the drive, clear the cache, then create the new RAID 0 volume. Assigning the drive as a hotspare would only allow it to help repair other arrays, but that doesn't sound like the issue you have. 

However, if the volume is meant to repair another RAID volume, like a RAID 5, the new disk doesn't need a RAID level. You would just need to assign it as a hotspare and the controller would handle the rest.

2 Posts

April 11th, 2019 13:00

Just to be certain that I am clear on what you are saying...

Discarding preserved cache would ONLY affect the RAID-0 that the failed drive was a part of, correct?  All my other arrays will be totally unaffected by doing this?

(I know the data on the RAID-0 is toast...it was just odds and ends that I've already restored to other storage, but thanks)

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

April 11th, 2019 14:00

Clearing the cache would affect anything still present. In practice, this really should be limited to just the data for the RAID 0 left in cache, write operations should have completed for anything else. With that in mind, all the other arrays should be unaffected.

I figured I was probably repeating information you knew, regarding the RAID 0 specifically, but the phrasing of the question threw me off and I didn't want to leave anything out, just in case.

No Events found!