Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2014 12:00

R610 Mixed Memory?

Hey Guys.....I had a question regarding this Mixed Memory.....we are adding memory to 2 of Our R610's and got the Warning regarding the Mixed memory....but it booted up and seemed to run fine.  soooooo where are you goign to run into problems?

we are running

16G , 8G

16G , 8G

8G, 8G

on one side and

16G , 8G

16G , 8G

8G, 8G

on the other.

take the two 8G, and 8G's out and I get no errors.

but I drop from 128G to 96G

anyone done this???......have any issues?

Understood that Dell will NOT support.....but will it work ok?

261 Posts

August 4th, 2014 15:00

Hi there.  I’ll be glad to help clarify the R610 memory population.

See page 28, Section 7.2.1.  In reference to the configuration statement “Three channels per processor populated identically”. 

Here is the correct population, based on the DIMMs that have. You can see that CPU A - Ch 1 is balanced with CPU B - Ch 1. Same with Channel 2.  However, there is no way use the other 8 GB DIMMs without throwing off the balance, such that channel 3 will no longer match that of channel 1 and 2. Channel 3 for  both procs must remain blank in this case. Your expandable option is to buy an additional pair of 16 GB DIMMs to continue matching what you have. 

Using the memory populated incorrectly will produce a non-optimal configuration that could produce erroneous errors along with degraded memory performance. It will also cause the annoying “Press F1 to continue” during every post to acknowledge the invalid memory configuration.  Dell does not recommend that you run the system unless it is populated correctly.

Please let me know if I can clarify further. 

3 Posts

August 5th, 2014 07:00

thanks....that is exactly what I understood.....that it needed to be in pairs....just wanted to make sure that we could not use all the memory we had......

understood....will have to get more memory!

thanks!

No Events found!