Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

October 15th, 2017 09:00

R620 - How to uninstall Identity Module

During the recent firmware upgrade window, one of our Sysadmin has accidentally installed the DBE Identity Module for our R620. Upon reboot, the server model shows up as "R620, DBE" instead of "PowerEdge R620" in both the bios and iDRAC.

The functionality of the server is unaffected, but however I am curious as to how to restore it to the original Dell PowerEdge R620 model number.

Here is the link of the Identity module that is currently installed. www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

• 

8.4K Posts

October 16th, 2017 09:00

Dhiru1602,

Would you confirm if the BIOS itself is showing that as well. If so then likely what we will need to do is to update the server with the NON oem version to get it to revert. You would need this download. Then boot to bootable media and from the command prompt run that file, if it fails then you may need to use the /forcetype flag. After that then it should display correctly.

Let me know if this helps.

48 Posts

October 16th, 2017 09:00

Yes. The BIOS shows the system model as R620, DBE

The sysadmin hasn't flashed OEM Bios. He has just installed the DBE Identity module mistakenly and after a reboot, the branding has changed.

The Lifecycle controller shows "Identity Module" installed as a firmware which was not present before installing the DBE identity module.

Will a forced BIOS update reset the branding and uninstall the Identity Module?

• 

8.4K Posts

October 16th, 2017 10:00

I apologize, I just researched the issue further and to resolve that would require a motherboard replacement. 

48 Posts

October 16th, 2017 10:00

The server is out of warranty and replacing a motherboard just for a wrong label is way too much effort. Can you provide me with a Stock identity module with Dell logos and fixed model number so that I can just install it to replace the DBE one? That will be a much better solution.

48 Posts

October 19th, 2017 19:00

Awaiting a reply...

• 

8.4K Posts

October 20th, 2017 10:00

The "stock" module is embedded to the motherboard and not a card like the DBE. Which when the DBE is installed it disables the original module, hence the motherboard requirement. Also, if when the DBE was installed, if the "Easy Restore" option was used then the Control Panel would require replacement along with the motherboard.

48 Posts

October 20th, 2017 11:00

What exactly is "DBE" and how is this identity module different from the stock module and why was this made public in the first place? The DBE identity module appears to have Dell branding but the Model number is different. This is the only the difference that I have found, rest assured the server works fine as intended.

Upon further investigation, the Identity module is installed as a Software Component in iDRAC software inventory. Considering this, there could be 2 possible solutions

1. Remove the Identity module from the iDRAC software inventory and force the BIOS to rebrand to stock. I know removing Driver Pack and Diagnostic applications from the iDRAC inventory is possible using racadm systemerase but I have no idea how to remove the identity module.
  2. Install an identity module which exactly resembles a stock Dell identity module. I was hoping Dell would provide me a .pm file with fully stock branding which i could just install from iDRAC to replace the DBE one and be done with it.

Any further help would be great! 

1 Rookie

• 

205 Posts

January 18th, 2018 06:00

I am also curious as to why there's no solution for this.  It makes the resale of these re-branded servers next to impossible.  It's absolutely something that should be reversible.  What if Dell gets these back someday and wants to re-use them?  Can't, they had a tiny piece of code loaded to them once so they're useless now, throw them in the trash.  Not a very 'green' business decision.  SMH

1 Rookie

• 

205 Posts

November 11th, 2020 07:00

It appears the 13th gen servers are afflicted with this "feature" too.  So once they're used as a Google Search Appliance, or whatever else, there's no going back without swapping the entire system board.  Gee, I wonder what Dell would charge for such a board?  Guessing about $2000 without a support contract.  What a shame.

Also, what's the point of having downloads available for identity modules if they can't be installed?  Seems completely pointless.  Dell engineers, if you're reading this, please make this reversible on future generations of your servers.  Having a system board in this state is so annoying...

No Events found!