B.K
1 Copper

R710 Stuck at: Testing Memory Please wait.

When the server turns on, it sits at "Testing Memory Please wait".  I've taken out all of the ram and tried different sticks (thinking one may be bad).  The other sticks that I've tested are 1GB sticks. The server itself has two CPUs.  This server has been working for >6 months and I wanted to apply  windows updates to it for this month.

Troubleshooting wise, this is what I've done:

1. Scaled down to 1 ram stick. 
  2. Tested different sticks
  3. Removed all HDDs except for HDD0

I was looking around the idrac6 and I noticed that under Power Supples  that the Input Wattage is at 702 with a Max Wattage of 570 (FW version is 00.01.31 btw)..  so do I need to get another 570 power supply for my 2nd slot or should I get a single power supply... Not sure what would cause the power to spike like this.

Under Power Monitoring:

• Amperage: 1A@124v
  • Reading: 133w | 454 BTU/hr

I've tried everything I can think of to get this to work... what else can I do?

0 Kudos
7 Replies

RE: R710 Stuck at: Testing Memory Please wait.

B.K.,

I would suggest you start by accessing the BIOS (F2), then under Memory Settings you will find Memory Testing. If you disable Memory Testing it will circumvent the test that is holding up the server.

Regarding the power supply, I would start by updating the BIOS, iDrac, as well as the 570watt power supply firmware. After updating see if the power supply issue is resolved or is still present.

Let me know how it goes.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
B.K
1 Copper

I would suggest you start by accessing the BIOS (F2), then under Memory Settings you will find Memory Testing. If you disable Memory Testing it will circumvent the test that is holding up the server.

Chris, this is before the "official" memtest.  First it'll say "Configuring memory, please wait" and then flip screens and say "Testing memory. Please wait." Once it concludes these two tests, then it should test the memory.  Is it possible to disable any bios related settings from the idrac?

Regarding the power supply, I would start by updating the BIOS, iDrac, as well as the 570watt power supply firmware. After updating see if the power supply issue is resolved or is still present.

Let me know how it goes.

I thought I had gotten all of these before, apparently not.  I'll update this tonight/tomorrow after work.

0 Kudos
xByteSean1
1 Copper

B.K.,

So far your troubleshooting seems to be on the right track, but to also add something into the mix i would break down the server even further by removing the 2nd CPU and re-seating the first.  Post the server with each CPU individually to also rule out a failing processor.  The new machines have the memory controllers right on the die of the CPU, so sometimes memory problems really stem from the processor.  

Your power monitoring stats look to be normal to me.  Remember the input wattage is different that the output wattage max of the power supply.  As long as the led on the power supply shows green, then the power supply should be operating normally. 

0 Kudos
B.K
1 Copper

Chris, I was able to update the idrac6 to the latest version and the bios was already 6.4.0. How can I update the power supply firmware?  I can't get to the bios, so I would be unable to boot from a cdrom or thumbdrive.

Also, once I updated the idrac6, I observed that the power supply now shows a yellow warning icon on the System Summary screen. When I click on Power Supplies, I get a green checkbox on PS1. 

http://snag.gy/QhTsQ.jpg

0 Kudos
B.K
1 Copper

Chris.  

This is the section that I'm talking about. 

"Testing memory. Please wait" is right before the Prompts in the upper right corner are enabled.

I'm unable to get to that point.  I've went into the idrac and reset the lifecycle controller which did not work as well.

0 Kudos

With large amount of memory this section can take awhile. If you access the BIOS (F2 at startup) then you can disable this test altogether via the Disable Memory Testing selection in Memory Settings. The memory test should be after the BIOS, where the Configuring Memory statement is just before. The screen shot is showing the test after the BIOS prompt, which is the one that can be disabled in the BIOS.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
B.K
1 Copper

Issue still persists on one of my R710s.  I replaced the battery with the spare battery in my other R710 and the same issue persists.  I'm thinking that the Power Supply is not the issue nor is it the CPU.

Chris, I strongly disagree that "it will take a while" for the ram.  I have another R710 with 72gb of ram and it takes mere minutes if that. This memory test is prior to the BIOS screen in the corner.  

What else can I do?

0 Kudos