Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2011 05:00

R710 memory upgrade issues

Hello readers,

I've been struggling with a memory upgrade on our Dell R710 for a couple a days. It currently has 8GB of RAM which I want to extend more RAM.

The current memory layout in the server is as following:

DIMM_BANK_A_SLOT_1

DIMM_BANK_A_SLOT_4

DIMM_BANK_A_SLOT_7

DIMM_BANK_A_SLOT_2 - 2GB ELPIDA 2Rx8 PC3-8500 R DDR3 1066MHz ECC Registered dual rank RDIMM

DIMM_BANK_A_SLOT_5

DIMM_BANK_A_SLOT_8

DIMM_BANK_A_SLOT_3 - 2GB ELPIDA 2Rx8 PC3-8500 R DDR3 1066MHz ECC Registered dual rank RDIMM

DIMM_BANK_A_SLOT_6

DIMM_BANK_A_SLOT_9

DIMM_BANK_B_SLOT_1

DIMM_BANK_B_SLOT_4

DIMM_BANK_B_SLOT_7

DIMM_BANK_B_SLOT_2 - 2GB ELPIDA 2Rx8 PC3-8500 R DDR3 1066MHz ECC Registered dual rank RDIMM

DIMM_BANK_B_SLOT_5

DIMM_BANK_B_SLOT_8

DIMM_BANK_B_SLOT_3 - 2GB ELPIDA 2Rx8 PC3-8500 R DDR3 1066MHz ECC Registered dual rank RDIMM

DIMM_BANK_B_SLOT_6

DIMM_BANK_B_SLOT_9

I've bought 2 RDIMM's from Dell (2GB Samsung 2Rx8 PC3-10500 R RDIMM) to expand the memory. In which way will this fit into the server? With every configuration I try (it's in Advanced ECC now as stated in the BIOS) the server doesn't boot and says on the little screen the memory is wrongly installed.

I tried the optimizer layout (and changed this in the BIOS too), but still no effect!

Please help.

847 Posts

July 19th, 2011 09:00

support.dell.com/.../HOM.pdf

Man..   Starts on like page 129.

I'd think if you tried everything,  maybe the existing ram is UDIMMs?

All sorts of rules on these.   I was surprised reading the manual I linked to here.  Dual -vs- single ranked? ect..ect...

9.3K Posts

July 15th, 2011 07:00

I would recommend to put those DIMMs in slots 1 for both processors.

3 Posts

July 15th, 2011 07:00

Thanks for your reply Dev Mgr. I already tried that though, despite the effect was the same. The server reported back to me with a memory configuration issue and wouldn't boot.

July 19th, 2011 04:00

Hello,

I think u have to at first set in BIOS in memory setting-> Optimized mode. Then shutdown the server after that plug in the RAM in both DIMM slot no 1 as Dev Mgr suggested. The power up the server.

As i see ur memory configuration is in Advaced ECC mode.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 20th, 2011 07:00

Sorry for the memory issues.  With DDR3, it has been an interesting learning curve as far as isolating issues.

Where I would want to start is by asking if the unit does boot up with just the pair of new DIMMs in slots A1 and B1 with the BIOS set to optimized.  Path in resolving this will be ensuring that all DIMMs work as intended.  From the information provided, all the DIMMs are dual rank but are very different speeds.

Clearly the setup you have running would be specific to advanced ECC with slots A2, A3 and B2 and B3. Generally, unless you have a specific purpose to run Advanced ECC, the most common setting is optimized mode.  

A1, A2, A3

B1, B2, B3

Under the chassis cover is an image of all the various memory options as well as DIMM layouts to ensure the slots are identified.

The other thing to verify regarding this is what version of BIOS and iDRAC the unit is running as there have been a number of BIOS revisions to correct and stabilize memory issues.

3 Posts

August 1st, 2011 08:00

It turned out the memory in the server was UDIMM, they won't mix with my orderded RDIMM modules so I've returned it to Dell to swap it for UDIMM. Thanks all for your patience and replies!

No Events found!