Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

1 Message

March 7th, 2019 05:00

R720 Power Supply unable to update firmware

I've got an issue with a Poweredge R720.

When booting, it reports a Power Management Firmware Initialisation error, and requires manual intervention to boot successfully.

Checking the server in iDRAC, the power supplies are not reporting any information to iDRAC, such as Voltage or Model number, and as a result (I'm assuming) the firmware can't update via iDRAC or using the DUP in Redhat, as it claims the package is not valid with my system configuration.

I've confirmed the part number with the PSU in the server, and by comparing it an identical server, so I've got the right firmware, and I've tried reseating the power supplies but this doesn't seem to make a difference.

Does anyone have any advise for the best way to resolve this?

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

March 7th, 2019 08:00

Hello,

I would probably start by shutting the server off, unplugging it, and holding the power button down for 30 seconds. The idea is to try to make the system come back up clean and inventory the hardware properly. If that doesn't work, you might test the power supplies outside this server. If they seem fine externally, it may be a system board issue. It doesn't appear that this server has a power interposer or a power distribution board, so the PSUs would connect right into the motherboard.

What you might also try is checking the iDRAC and BIOS versions. One thing I've seen resolve this same message was to back-rev the BIOS to a much older version, then update the one version at a time. It's a bit of an annoyance, but it might help.

No Events found!