Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

A

3 Posts

March 28th, 2023 06:00

R720XD fan noise

We bought a system to test some different virtualization systems, but the machine is unusable. Why?

Fan noise!

After finding that it was running at 100%, I upgraded all of the firmware and worked within the system settings to lower the noise, that was like an airplane taking off!

I even used an ipmitool commend line to lower the fan speed to 20% which helped, but is far noisier than we have experienced. We haven't dropped to 10% to avoid trashing the server. We thought of removing some of the fans but haven't... yet.

ipmitool -I lanplus -H SERVERS_IP -U IDRAC_USERNAME -P IDRAC_PASSWORD raw 0x30 0x30 0x02 0xff 0x14

Is there a fix?

• 

8.4K Posts

March 28th, 2023 10:00

AllanL9,

Just to confirm, when you updated you did include the iDrac as well?

Also, when you open the server can you confirm that all the fans are functional and that the cooling shroud is installed as well?

If those are all done and installed the fans should lower, unless the environment isn't conducive to them lowering.

• 

8.4K Posts

March 28th, 2023 11:00

You may want to try taking the server to its minimum to post configuration, once there see if the fans go to a normal level, if so then power back down and individually reinstall the removed devices until the fans climb again. Which can help us identify if a device is causing them to ramp up.

Minimum to post for the R720xd is removing everything internally and externally except the following:

One Power Supply
Control Panel (for power button functionality)
Working cable connection between control panel and system board
One Processor (CPU) in socket CPU1 (minimum for troubleshooting)
One Memory Module (DIMM) installed in socket A1
System Board
Backplane (for R720xd control panel connection)

3 Posts

March 28th, 2023 11:00

Yes, iDRAC was updated and reset/cleared after. All fans are installed and working, plus the shroud is installed. THe room temperature is about 70F and the other servers are quiet. espically an R515 that's as quiet as a desktop PC.

The R720XD roars so badly, even at 20% that it can be heard 40 feete away! I can force lower the fans, but what is lowest setting, at the moment 20%?

3 Posts

March 30th, 2023 07:00

Will work on it and advise if I can find a solution, and will post.

1 Rookie

• 

89 Posts

March 31st, 2023 10:00

Try using ipmi commands to quiet the fans

Here is a guide for the r730xd which should work the same way.

specific ipmi commands might vary though because 12th vs 13th gen.

https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-Hardware-General/How-to-quiet-r730XD-fans-lower-idle-fan-speed/m-p/8349052 

"I can force lower the fans, but what is lowest setting, at the moment 20%?"

10% is typically the lowest speed

When manually lowering the fan speed, make sure to run benchmarks or something that will heat up your cpu and monitor the temperatures via idrac to make sure your server stays cool under load.

There will be some risk with overriding the cooling profile. Be careful to ensure the system is still stable, and if this is a critical piece of infrastructure, do not deviate from the Dell approved cooling profiles.

hope this helps :-]

Biggest reasons for your fans to ramp up is if you are using a pci device. This changes the cooling profile.

No Events found!