Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2015 20:00

Raid 5 not showing as an option in PERC 6/i interface

Hi. Our company just purchased an M1000e enclosure and 5 poweredge 610 blades which I do not seem to be able to enable RAID 5 on. I see RAID 0-1 in PERC 6/i. UEFI only sees RAID 0-1. OMSA only sees RAID 0-1. What am I doing wrong?

I've searched the web and followed the instructions to enter the PERC 6 interface and set up other virtual drives, but we don't have 6 drives in one blade, we have 2 X 250GB SSD-SATA HDD in each blade. We simply want to use the first 3 blades as failover/redundancy and none of the Google and Dell searches seem to show the same thing as I'm seeing. 

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 7th, 2015 13:00

Shockedmonkey,

The PERC 6/i certainly supports RAID 5. The RAID 5 option will not be part of the drop down menu on the PERC interface because you have 2 hard drives on each blade. For you to be able to configure RAID 5, you will need a minimum of 3 hard drives on each blade to begin with.

Let me know whether you have any further questions.

August 7th, 2015 17:00

Yikes. Thanks for your response Robert. Any idea how I can set up failover then?

We are using blade 1 as our portal server, and want to simply have blades 2 and 3 available and set as load balancing/failover. Should something happen to blade one (or the traffic load become too great) , we want to auto switch to blade 2 or 3. Perhaps this is something in UEFI that I didn't see. I've looked all over the web trying to find the proper best practice to assure this is the case, but no luck. 

Could you or someone point me in the right direction or maybe to a document that would help me? Thanks again!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 13th, 2015 12:00

Hello.

I do not have this information at the moment as per your request; because it is a configuration issue that  would need to go through our paid consultation services. 

No Events found!