Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 20th, 2012 01:00

Remote Access Configuration Utility prompt stops server from starting

I have a Poweredge 1900 Server and everytime the server needs a restart (e.g Windows Update) it asks to press F1 to continue.

I work remotely and there is noone else in the office who is technical (on the other side of the UK), but why does it keep asking ... I dont want to use Remote Access!

I have just tried (stepping a colleague through using FaceTime):

* Finding an option in BIOS Setup to disable this ... nothing there

* Finding an option in Remote Access Utility Setup to disable this ... nothing there

* Setting up some values in RA Setup ... still asks to press F1 to continue, or F2 to setup

What else can i try? I just want it to reboot without human interaction!!

This is where it pauses, asking for user input....

1 Message

April 11th, 2013 17:00

I had a PowerEdge R300 doing the same thing. I only had one hard drive in there, but the second SATA port was enabled. After I disabled the second SATA port everything worked fine.

• 

6.2K Posts

November 20th, 2012 11:00

Hello coderanger

There are several possible causes to this. If there are configuration changes it will prompt this message, and you have to boot into the system BIOS and exit saving the new changes. If you have changed any hardware it will give this message until you exit saving changes. Also, if there is an error on POST it will prompt this message.

I would suggest checking the hardware log for an error that is causing it to halt. A dead CMOS battery will cause the BIOS settings to be constantly lost, and will therefore cause this message on every boot. If the CMOS battery is dead then there will likely be a related error in the event log. In short, I would suggest checking the event log to find out why it is stopping. If you cannot find any errors then press F2 and exit saving changes.

Thanks

November 22nd, 2012 00:00

There is no dead battery, no settings are lost, nothing is in the event log and no error on POST ... all we see is what is on that image

November 23rd, 2012 01:00

What I have just discovered is that there is no CDRom in the machine (just a hole) where one was obviously taken out at some point.

I checked BIOS wasnt trying to boot from a drive that doesnt exist but it doesnt appear as a possible boot option ... could that be the problem? Should I source a drive and plug it in? Or is there anything else i can do to tell it there is no drive available?

• 

6.2K Posts

November 26th, 2012 09:00

If the CD-ROM is missing then there was a configuration change. Did you go into the BIOS and exit saving changes? If that had no effect then I would suggest draining flea power. Disconnect the power cord for about 1 minute to drain flea power. The system should be able to POST without error with the CD/DVD drive removed.

1 Message

April 15th, 2014 20:00

Just ran into this on a power edge 2900 that was recently upgraded. In the BIOS one of the SATA controllers was on Auto and showing "unknown device" I disabled the controller, saved and restarted and the problem went away.

1 Message

August 10th, 2017 19:00

Worked for me! You only have to tell me twice or maybe three times.  

I had this issue on a 2950 and the hard drives are connected to the PERC Controller.  I had rebooted a couple of times remotely and had to wait until the office manager came in in the morning to press f1.  I disabled both SATA ports through Openmanage System Administrator, rebooted and wallah...problem fixed!

Thanks Mikesteves for the post and for reposting when you seemed to have been ignored!

No Events found!