Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 11th, 2016 07:00

Samsung DDR4 8G RAM stick not working in T130

I just bought a Dell Poweredge T130 with 8GB RAM. I wanted to expand the memory to 16GB so I tried installing a 8GB ECC DDR4 Samsung module without success. I have zero experience using ECC RAM, so my guess is that there are requirements for the RAM that I'm unaware of. 

I started by pulling the factory installed module and instead installed the new Samsung module, however when booting, the BIOS says that no usable module is installed. I checked that it is correctly seated in the slot. 

Not working Module: Samsung 8GB 1Rx4-2133P-RC0-10-DC0 (M393A1G40DB0-CPB0Q)

Factory installed module: SK Hynix 2Rx8 PC4-2133P-EE0-10 (HMA41GU7AFR8N-TF)

I can see that the Hynix module that came installed in the PowerEdge is 2Rx8, and the Samsung is 1Rx4 - can this be the reason? 

Best regards,

Nikolaj

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 11th, 2016 11:00

Nikolaj,

I started by pulling the factory installed module and instead installed the new Samsung module, however when booting, the BIOS says that no usable module is installed. I checked that it is correctly seated in the slot. 

Not working Module: Samsung 8GB 1Rx4-2133P-RC0-10-DC0 (M393A1G40DB0-CPB0Q)

The T130 sever supports only unbuffered memory modules, UDIMM. The memory module in question is registered module, RDIMM which is not supported and as such the system renders it as unusable as it can not be detected. Consider using unbuffered memory module of P/N H5P71

I can see that the Hynix module that came installed in the PowerEdge is 2Rx8, and the Samsung is 1Rx4 - can this be the reason? 

As mentioned earlier, the issue here is that RDIMMs are not supported on the server and not mixing of memory modules of different ranks. Memory modules of different ranks can be mixed.

9.3K Posts

August 13th, 2016 19:00

To add to Robert's information; this is not a limit that Dell selected/chose to implement. It is a limitation of the processor(s) available for this server.

All Intel E3 Xeon processors (and the Core i3/5/7, Celeron, and Pentium processors that share the same sockets as their Xeon E3 counter parts) are limited to unbuffered (ECC or non-ECC) memory.

Registered memory (RDIMM), whether it is DDR3 or DDR4, requires the new Xeon D-1500 (DDR4), or Xeon E5-series processors (E5 and E5 v2 support DDR3 and E5 v3 and v4 support DDR4). The Core i7 that fits a 2011 or 2011-3 socket does not support registered memory from what I can find (don't have such a CPU and a compatible board to try the combo).

No Events found!