Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2014 06:00

T-420 server 2012 R2 backup causes disk failure eventIds: 153/140/14

Running Windows Server Backup causes the following disk errors, we have a Raid 1+0 (4 disks) array on a Perc 310 controller:

• EventID: 153 - System, disk
    The IO operation at logical block address ef0 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\00000044) was retried.

• EventID: 140 - System, Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs
    The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: C:,
    DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume7.
    (The I/O device reported an I/O error.)

• EventID: 14 - System, volsnap
    The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:.

40 Posts

May 20th, 2015 15:00

I realize this is a year old issue, but considering it's still a top Google result for this very specific issue, I figured I'd share my resolution. 

I updated the H310 firmware from:

20.12.1-0002 -> 20.13.1-0002

And updated the RAID driver from:

6.6(something) -> 6.803.21.00

And the issue was immediately resolved following reboot. 

I am using SATA drives in the machine for backups. USBs worked fine. The SATAs failed as soon as I added them. Same exact event IDs as the OP which were indicating a drive failure, however the problem was more likely related to reading from a drive on the RAID controller while writing to another drive on the same controller. 

Not to say that the firmware or driver updates contained something magical. Perhaps there was some corruption in the original firmware or drivers that were corrected by the update, but everything is good now. 

Unfortunately it took forever to find this post and start troubleshooting the controller, instead of the OS and drives themselves. 

Hope someone else will benefit from this. 

51 Posts

May 21st, 2015 04:00

Good to know there is finally a solution to this, just a shame Dell didn't admit to the fault and release the fix earlier.  Too late for us as this Server is no-longer in production, can't have production servers with faults like this.  The H310 firmware update has only been available since 03 Apr 2015.

Lets hope your solution prevents others having to throw away a new server like we did.

2 Posts

June 17th, 2015 15:00

I'm having the exact same issues as the OP. I'm following your tip and updating the firmware and drivers. Hopefully, your solution works for me as well. Thanks so much! 

12 Posts

June 19th, 2015 18:00

This is BAD.

Allowing the controller to resync from inconsistent parity WILL corrupt data.

What you're describing overall sounds like multiple drive failure.

Making the assumption that the drives are new doesn't rule that out either since they can easily be DOA.

When drives start popping in and out of the array like that, you cannot rely on that array being stable.

July 20th, 2015 23:00

Million thanks, your accurate observations helped me fix the problem.

3 Posts

February 27th, 2020 05:00

Chris G...5 years after your post...I'm benefitting from it!! thank you!

I updated the firmware first....rebooted, but Windows Backup failed.  ver 2013.3-0001_A11

I then updated the RAID driver and voila...up and running!! 6.805.03.00_A07

No Events found!