Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2013 16:00

T110 won't boot from Hard Drive

I'm having issues being able to get the system to identify the hard drives.
THE GOAL IS RAID 5 ON 3 OF THE DRIVES

1 X250gb, 3x500 drives

1. Poweredge T110

2. 4GB of memory

Phoenix BIOS Plus Version 1.10 104
PERC S300

I get " No Boot Drive Available
Current Boot Mode is set to BIOS

F2 - System Setup"

*SATA Controller Settings (AHCI Mode)

Port A-E (OFF), eSATA Port (OFF)

Boot Mode (BIOS)

Boot Sequence (Embedded SATA DVD-ROM), only drive that is visible

Boot Sequence ( Enabled)

I restarted the computer with the System Build Utility disk in, and it actually processed to the point that I could set up RAID configuration, and it initialized windows 2008.

Once I rebooted, the system I'm back too square one.
I can't seem to get pass actually having data flow too the hard drives.

• 

6.2K Posts

December 21st, 2013 17:00

Hello

Do you get a prompt to enter the controller BIOS ? The drives will be listed there and not in the system BIOS. Check to see if they are detected in the S300 BIOS. If they are then make sure they are either in a RAID array or in non-RAID mode. If they are just sitting in a ready state then they will not be presented to any operating system. If they are not detected then make sure the drives are cabled to the S300 and that the cables are fully seated.

If you do not get a prompt to enter the S300 controller BIOS during boot then reseat the S300.

Thanks

5 Posts

December 21st, 2013 22:00

I was able to get too the PERC S300 Virtual Device Menu, and looking for guidance on how too configure it.
I cannot find any steps on the type of controller drive menu that I have.

Attached is a image of the menu.

• 

6.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2013 09:00

First you will need to delete all of the current virtual disks. Choose the Delete Virtual Disk(s) options and delete all 4 of them. After they are deleted the option to Create Virtual Disk will be available. Use that to configure them how you want.

If you want the 250GB drive to be by itself then configure it as non-RAID. That should be an option in the Create Virtual Disk menu. After you have them configured try to install the operating system again. If you run into issues installing the operating system then let me know what options you selected before it failed. I don't think Windows will allow you to install to a GPT partition when it detects a BIOS boot, but I could be mistaken. If you are presented with the option to create a GPT partition do not do it. You cannot boot from a GPT partition, so you can't install the OS onto one. If the OS is going to be installed on the 250GB drive and the other 3 will be in a RAID 5 for data then you can create a GPT for the RAID 5 since you will not be booting from it.

Thanks

5 Posts

December 22nd, 2013 20:00

I have been able to build the RAID 5 on the 3 drives I wanted.
Getting a Loading PBR for descriptor 1....done

Bad PBR signature.

Any suggestions.

Appreciate your help, getting this far.

• 

6.2K Posts

December 26th, 2013 09:00

It sounds like the 250GB drive may be bad. That error is telling us that it detects a boot record, but it is corrupt. I doubt it is your media, but that is also a possibility.

December 13th, 2019 07:00

After a reboot I am having a similar issue with no boot device detected.  This was a raid 5 setup on an s300.  However, when I go into the s300 bios I show no drives at all.  I ran a Rescan and it came up with nothing.  Oddly, when I run the dell system diagnostics quick test, it runs through confidence tests on all 4 drives testing blocks for each.  So somehow the diagnostic utility can see the drives that are hooked to the s300 but the s300 itself doesn't appear to be able to find them.  I re-seated the cables on all 4 drives and the controller.  I realize I am replying to a very old post but am hoping someone has some info on this similar issue.

No Events found!