Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

February 18th, 2016 13:00

T320 w/iDrac7 keep loosing my fan speed on power downs and idrac resets

I've got a T320 (Firmware up to date on everything) with 8 drives.  I've found I need to set the fan (Thermal) to "override/ low" setting in order to keep the drives from getting too warm.  High setting sounds like a hair dryer, low setting is reasonable and keeps the drives cool.

I've noticed that at certain times (a little hard to determine exactly when), but I believe when I've reset the idrac controller and possibly during an full power removal that when I re power the server that the fan speed is very low (inaudible).  No amount of rebooting seems to remedy the problem.  I find the only way to restore my "override/low" speed is to go back into the life-cycle controller, go to the thermal section where I find my original fan setting in tact, set it to high, back out and save (fan spins up), then go back in, set the fan to low, back out, save (fan spins down to the low setting that I actually want, then exit.

This seems to be the only way to restore the low fan speed.

Is this a bug?  Am I doing something wrong?  Can't seem to find fan speed settings anywhere in the idrac controller interface, only in the life-cycle controller.  True?

Help me understand this behavior.  My thoughts are once the server is on the shelf, this won't be a real issue, but right now it's troubling me.

• 

6.2K Posts

February 18th, 2016 16:00

Hello

It sounds like your iDRAC is not properly saving the setting. This is typically an issue with the configuration file. I would reset the iDRAC to defaults, shut down the system, and then drain flea power. This will cause the iDRAC to create a new configuration file using its default values.

Thanks

27 Posts

February 19th, 2016 16:00

I tried resetting iDRAC to defaults, reconfigured, set my fan speed.  Came back about 5 hours later and when I tried to log into iDRAC it just got the spinning verifying credentials.  I shutdown the computer, pulled the plug, held the power button for a few seconds and plugged it back in.  When I powered it on, the fan went to the lowest speed (where you can't even hear it).  I had to go back into the lifecycle controller and do the whole deal (from my original post) to get the fan speed back to override/low again.

Doesn't seemed to have worked.

• 

6.2K Posts

February 20th, 2016 13:00

Came back about 5 hours later and when I tried to log into iDRAC it just got the spinning verifying credentials.

It sounds like you are troubleshooting a symptom of a bigger problem. Did you notice this problem because you have been resetting the iDRAC and restarting the system because it is becoming unresponsive?

27 Posts

February 20th, 2016 17:00

No it has never become unresponsive.  I've been setting up a MS Server and as a result have been doing a lot of reboots, backups, restores etc (so that I am ready for possible restores etc).  I'm really putting it through its paces.

I've only reset iDRAC as a result of the suggestion above.

I think a saw this problem after removing power to the server or making a change in the lifecycle controller.

What puzzles me is that when I go back into the thermal section of the iDRAC config its set properly at Offset / Low.  The server is just not setting that speed after a removal of power or trip through lifecycle (or some combination).

My concern is that I need that particular fan setting in order to keep my drive array cool enough and if some strange event occurs and the fan go to the lowest setting I'm concerned that I will damage my HDD subsystem.

• 

6.2K Posts

February 21st, 2016 10:00

I was able to reproduce the issue. I would suggest subscribing/monitoring future iDRAC firmware updates for a release that will address the issue.

Thanks

27 Posts

February 21st, 2016 12:00

So I found a bug?  I think that might be a first for me.  I just created a subscription using the following instructions:  http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN156799/EN#Email

This is one that I'd like to squash.  Thanks.

1 Message

July 14th, 2016 17:00

Daniel - How exactly were you able to reproduce this?  I'm seeing this intermittently on R320s.  Was this ever resolved?  Did you find a workaround?

No Events found!