Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

April 22nd, 2018 18:00

T610 | PERC 6/i | RAID 5 || Replacing Failed Drive, Failed to Rebuild

Hi Everyone,

I had a drive fail. It was one of 3 450GB SAS 15k drives. 

I ordered an exact replacement, but I had to re-use the sled because newegg sent a replacement which was using the improper sled (the drive was the correct model though). 

I read that I could just remove the failed drive and replace the new drive while the machine was on and it would automatically re-build back into the corect RAID-5 array virtual disk. 

I started the re-build process & everything seemed to work just fine, and I never saw an error stating that anything quit, but it looks like the drive in the second bay is just not listed anymore. When I view the physical disks there are only 3 listed for the first bay (should be 4, 0:0, 0:1, 0:2, and 0:3) where 0:2 was the one which failed. Also the virtual disk still shows that it is degraded - I guess this is because the second disk is just missing. It doesn't show that the disk has failed anymore or even list it. It just shows two disks, but it should have 3.

Thank you for any help!

• 

6.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2018 09:00

Hello

If you are getting your information from OpenManage Server Administrator then it could be an issue of the storage service not updating information correctly. Restarting the server will cause OMSA to pull current information. You can also boot into the controller BIOS to check the status while you are rebooting.

http://www.dell.com/storagecontrollermanuals

Thanks

2 Posts

April 24th, 2018 06:00

So here's an update:

I removed then re-inserted the drive last night. Again, this is the drive that is using the old drive's sled, but it IS a new drive. 

The drive rebuilt at around 8:30 AM yesterday and stayed online until sometime between midnight last night and 7:30 AM. 

What could be causing this? I saw that the firmware drivers were out of date for the PERC. Could it be the old sled? Or maybe the actual bay itself? 

I was wrong about the drive re-using old data by the way. The new drive and the old drive just have the same revision. I double-checked the serial numbers on them and the one in the OM instance matches the new drive. Also, is there a way for me to visually check the manufacturing date of the drive to compare it to what is shown in OM?

• 

6.2K Posts

April 24th, 2018 09:00

@TrivPants wrote:

What could be causing this? I saw that the firmware drivers were out of date for the PERC. Could it be the old sled? Or maybe the actual bay itself?

It is normal to use old drive carriers. Replacement drives from our spare parts department or warranty replacement drives do not come with carriers. When a drive is replaced there is an expectation that a carrier is present and will be used for the replacement drive.

If the hardware logs do not provide enough information then you can review controller/TTY log for more information.

No Events found!