Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 28th, 2011 18:00

T610 memory upgrade question

Hi, I'm sure this will be a simple enough question for anyone with a T610 series.

I have read the white paper about balanced configuration and populating the channels etc. That is clear enough. What I am not clear on is whether the total available to the OS is the total of all memory in the server or if CPU1 and CPU2 each have 12 GB is the total available 12GB or 24GB.

Thanks in advance

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

March 28th, 2011 18:00

That depends on how you configure your memory. If you opt to mirror the memory with 2 x 3 4GB DIMMs (3 per proc), you get 8GB. If you don't mirror, you would get 24GB.

The only reason you need to balance out the memory between the 2 processors is that the memory controllers (that 'control' the memory) are built into the processors, so each processor wants the same memory quantity dimms/type/size.

Mirroring memory is explained here<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> and here<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

some.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 28th, 2011 20:00

If you had 12GB on each processor, then your total available RAM (if not mirrored) would be 24GB.

1 Message

April 27th, 2011 20:00

Download the Hardware Owners Manual at:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pet610/en/HOM/pdf/hom_en.pdf

Look at pages 123 - 128.

If you use mirroring you will have 1/2 of the total physical memory available.  If you use Advanced ECC or Optimizer modes you will have the full amount of physical memory available.

If you don't use the mirroring configuration you will have 24 GB available.  If you use mirroing you will have 12 GB.

If you use Advanced ECC or Mirroring modes you can only install 4 DIMM's per CPU and they must be installed in multiples of 2 per CPU.  You have to leave slots 1 & 4 vacant.  As you mention 12 GB per CPU the only configuration that fits is Optimizer mode.

No Events found!