Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 19th, 2018 15:00

T610 vs new disk drive

I have an apparent drive failure -- blinking orange light.  I ordered a replacement drive and it fails also, blinking orange after it spins up.  I haven't restarted the system, fearing loss of the array on a restart.  Can anyone help with first troubleshooting steps, please?

• 

6.2K Posts

March 19th, 2018 17:00

Hello

Please send a private message with your service tag to ensure we have all appropriate information on your system.

Thanks

5 Posts

March 20th, 2018 13:00

I hit "reply" to your message.  Is this private?  

5 Posts

March 20th, 2018 14:00

It's running Server 2012.  Assuming the OMSA is on the web site, I'll get it downloaded as soon as I can, probably not today.  I'm working on a bulk copy of all the data to a temp file server, and can think about rebooting this system once that's done.

• 

6.2K Posts

March 20th, 2018 14:00

Thank you for the service tag.

I show the system was purchased with a PERC6i. The system was not purchased with an OS, so I'm not sure what OS you are using. If you have an OS that is compatible with OpenManage Server Administrator then you can install OMSA to find out what the drive status is.

I suggest using OMSA to gather more information about the issue before doing anything else. You should restart the system to complete the OMSA installation, but you can usually get OMSA to function without a restart. If OMSA does not work properly then you will need to restart the system after installation. OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node can be found under the Systems Management section of the server support page driver section.

www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/poweredge-t610/

Thanks

5 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 12:00

I'll get to the site tomorrow morning.  I have downloaded the OMSA and also iDRAC, so we can maybe make some progress.

5 Posts

March 27th, 2018 14:00

It looks like my last post disappeared.  I installed OMSA, and found this:  my bad drive is on connector 1.  Under the connector heading, the enclosure backplane shows as a sub-head, with the good drives under another level of sub-head, Physical Drives.  The bad drive shows up from a line directly down and left from the Enclosure plus-sign box, under Physical Drives.  I'm trying to insert a screen shot here.

OMSA screen shotOMSA screen shot

ll try a server restart after hours tonight and see what the controller has to say.  

• 

6.2K Posts

March 30th, 2018 09:00

The controller is having issues communicating with the drive. If you have an available slot then I would test the drive in another slot. The issue is likely with either the drive or the slot. You will need to test in a known good slot or with a known good drive to determine which is at fault.

Thanks

No Events found!