Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

May 1st, 2018 11:00

T630 Memory configuration with mixed sizes

I have read the documentation and I'm still a little confused.  I have a T630 with 2 processors.  I have Two 32GB  memory modules and Two 8GB (all 2400mhz).  It is obvious that I install the two 32GB modules in Slot A1 and B1 (White).

The question is where do I install the Two 8 GB modules.  The manual says to install smaller (different) sized memory into the black slots. 

Should I....

A)  Put them in A5 and B5 and have all of the memory is running on 1 channel.

B)  Put them in A6 and B6  and have them running on a separate memory channel

C) Ignore the manual and put them in the A2 and B2 (White) slot as suggested in this post (Which actually has 2 different answers from the moderator)

https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-Hardware-General/Mixing-32GB-and-16-GB-memory-on-the-T630/td-p/5057452

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 

6.2K Posts

May 1st, 2018 14:00

Hello

The T630 supports flexible memory configurations. That means that we do not block unsupported configurations. If the memory controller will allow the configuration then you can do it. Because of flexible memory support there are several populations that will likely work.

When you mix memory they should be in separate memory groups. The groups are spread across the channels and color coded. Slots 1,2,3,4 are all color coded white, that is one group of memory.

The best population following the population rules in the manual would be 32GB in 1 and 8GB in 5.

Thanks

No Events found!