Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 31st, 2016 15:00

Unable to download anything from Dell's support/drivers pages

Been trying all afternoon to download the new SUU (16.04), but every time it either ends early with an incorrect file size or barely gets started before failing.  I am also trying the lifecycle controller updates and it's not going anywhere either.  Is something bad happening at Dell?

9.3K Posts

October 7th, 2016 09:00

You can also just use Repository Manager and have it effectively build the SUU for your R720XD. It downloads the individual patches and then builds them into an ISO (or share if desired).

This may be more successful as it doesn't have to download 1 huge file, but just gets multiple smaller files.

• 

3.1K Posts

May 31st, 2016 21:00

Hi Mtexter,

I gave a test download from the support site using different DNS, does seem to be able to complete download the ISO.

Have you tried using different browser download? Try download using different DNS or a proxy, I've experienced before from other users, are effected by the connection itself.

Here's a FTP link: http://dell.to/25xOugf

1 Rookie

• 

205 Posts

June 1st, 2016 07:00

Joey, thanks for the reply.  Still no luck here, here's what i've tried so far:

Wireless & Wired adapter both enabled, just wired, and just wireless

firefox ESR(38.8.0), chrome (Version 51.0.2704.63 m), and IE

connecting to ftp.dell.com through any browser isn't working

I can download large files from other sites

tried multiple DNS servers from my own connection, so i'm guessing at this point it's either something with our company connection or ISP if it's not on Dell's end.  I'll run it up the chain with our IT department.  Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

205 Posts

June 1st, 2016 15:00

currently downloading at 2 MBps, 3GB/7.2 so far...fingers crossed!

• 

3.1K Posts

June 1st, 2016 20:00

Hi Mtexter,

Did you manage to finish the download going on previous session? 

1 Rookie

• 

205 Posts

June 2nd, 2016 06:00

Unfortunately not, it stopped at 5.3GB and called itself complete again.  I did try downloading it from home last night but forgot to check if that one finished before I came in today.

1 Rookie

• 

205 Posts

June 2nd, 2016 10:00

Apparently it did not successfully download from home last night either.  stopped at 300MB and a second attempt at 500MB.  Our IT staff tried the same from various locations and networks and had failures/false completions at various sizes that weren't 7.2GB.  Something definitely seems amiss with Dell's FTP servers. 

1 Rookie

• 

205 Posts

June 2nd, 2016 11:00

Did another download attempt from the company network, got to 5.6GB before "completing".  What causes a file to think it's done downloading before it actually is??

• 

3.1K Posts

June 2nd, 2016 19:00

Hi MTEXTER,

Thanks for the feedback. Does seem unstable connection, after i tried multiple downloads on multiple URL of server types.

I'll report this back to the back end network engineer to check on it. 

Meanwhile I am trying on Dell Download Manager to download the files, have you also tried that? - It's when you try to download, and it asked you if you would like to use Download Manager or Browser Download. 

1 Rookie

• 

205 Posts

June 3rd, 2016 06:00

I have indeed tried both the Dell download manager and browser download options, with similar results :(  I appreciate you looking into it, please advise when things are stable again.  Thank you!

1 Message

June 8th, 2016 01:00

Greetings Dell,
I am experiencing the same problems on Dell Server Update Utility, Windows 64 bit Format, v.16.04.00 (SUU-WIN64_16.04.200.19.ISO).
It works fine until 33% (1.6 GB) downloaded then it just stops and says "Download Interrupted" or "Download failed" and if I try to resume it will say "download complete".
I have tried in Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer on Windows 10, Windows 7 and even a Server 2012 R2 with the same result on both the FTP and through normal https site. I have also tried the download manager with the same result on all machines.

I have never experienced any problems outside of the Dell support site with downloading files so I would bet that this is a problem with Dell's side. Could it be location? I am from Denmark.

1 Rookie

• 

205 Posts

August 31st, 2016 11:00

More trouble with the Dell FTP again today, was there ever a conclusion from the Dell networking crew about this?  Intermittent connectivity to the site, downloads failing or "completing" partway through.  Not sure what to make of it.  In my mind a stable ftp site should be accessible constantly, and this just isn't, and hasn't been for 2 months or more.  Tried from work and from home with the same results, various browsers, etc.

1 Message

October 2nd, 2016 09:00

I'm having the same issue, which is frustrating given that the latest windows 10 update bricked my OS, and my recovery USB isn't working.

Can someone help me out with a FTP link to for an OS for alienware 17 R3? Going to call the premium support holiness in the morning. So far I'm finding the customer service from Dell to be well below the expected standard given the price of the laptops.

1 Rookie

• 

897 Posts

October 4th, 2016 09:00

Dell has never posted OS iso's to a public FTP site for dnload, you will need to speak to someone in tech support. 

1 Rookie

• 

205 Posts

October 7th, 2016 08:00

Still can't download the SUU v16.  Trying to update an R720XD today and the latest version we have is 15.  Same behavior as before, randomly failing or ending early.  Still no word from Dell on what the issue might be.  Still no apparent problems on our end or from similar sites downloading similar files.  Does anyone have a copy of this that they could send via wetransfer or some other mirror?

No Events found!