Highlighted
2 Bronze

Use a PCI graphics card on Poweredge T620

Purchased  Poweredge T620, with a NVIDIA Tesla C2075 CUDA card in for use as a high end workstation and CUDA machine.

Due to the programs I must run I have set the machine up dual booting Windows 7 and Linux (this in itself took some doing).

The graphics are currently being served by the onboard Matrox G200.

I have managed, on both systems to install the CUDA graphics card, for use in programming.  However I decided to attempt to use another graphics card (NVIDIA Geforce GT610) as on Linux, installing the NVIDIA drivers stops me being able to access my monitors full screen resolution (a problem that I think will be more easily solved if graphics are being handled by an NVIDIA chipset on an external card).  Additionally the Matrox G200 is not going to be sufficient for some of the programs I am going to be required to run in Windows.

On installing the GT610, no output was displayed (both before and after driver installation), I discovered this is also the case if I plug a monitor into the CUDA card.  It seems there is some BIOS/iDRAC setting preventing output through any additional PCI graphics card.

I have tried disabling the onboard graphics controller in the BIOS, however this merely left me with no display at all, then requiring me to reset the BIOS via the jumper, a process I would prefer not to have to repeat.  I also speculatively, adjusted the iDRAC network setting "Enable NIC" to "Disabled" but with no luck (though I have not tried disabling the onboard graphics via the BIOS since this change).  Windows sees all graphics cards as installed and working, however does not see any displays connected to the,

If anyone has any ideas as to which settings need to be changed to enable output from PCI graphics cards, that would be amazing!

Thanks

0 Kudos
50 Replies

Re: Use a PCI graphics card on Poweredge T620

Joe,

With most Dell servers, they won't support using a 3rd party video card in the server. The 12th generation servers differ in the fact that you can use the 3rd party video cards in them, but in a GPGPU use. Not for the sake of video display. So they support 3rd party video cards, not for using for display, but as a graphic processor.

Let  me know if this answers your question.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise

href="http://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO">
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

In my T610, i installed a XFX GeForce graphics card which i modded to fit in a x8 slot and then within BIOS, set the "Embedded Video Controller" to "disabled". Upon connecting the monitor to the XFX card, i could the view the machine booting up and windows 7 had no issues with aero interface (the onboard matrox g200 would not work well with aero).

So I would be very surprised if the T620 could not handle a PCIe video card and in fact I understood that one could order Quadro cards with their systems which were a supported option. What you may have is some conflict occurring when you use a graphics card in combination with a GPGPU card. If the T620 is not a production machine, i would remove the GPGPU card and drivers and install a graphics card, set the BIOS and connect the monitor to the graphics card. If it works, i would install the GPGPU card again and see if they both work.

Maybe the bods at NVidia can shed some light on this issue as too often you on this forum one hears 'not supported'.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

too often you on this forum one hears 'not supported'

Sky, you know as well as anyone why that is the case.  Far and away, most of the most Dell-server-knowledgeable people use servers as they were designed, so unless someone has attempted to do something "off-track", there isn't much we can tell them, except to help them understand what they are up against.  It IS unsupported, because it was never considered in the design and testing for that system, and in some cases, some versatility had to be sacrificed to ensure a functional and reliable system, which is usually more beneficial than a system that can be tinkered with at will.  A lot of people who jump from desktops to servers can't understand why they can't just plop a video card in, why they can't just buy a drive for it from Best Buy, and why they can't just install XP on this "computer".  We never say it won't work - simply that Dell didn't intend it and if they want to try it, it may or may not work, and may or may not require some trial and error, and we often try to help them do just that (specific cards are different from installing an unsupported OS though) ... but they need to know that from the outset.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Sorry to but in but i have spent 3 days reading posts on people trying to get good graphics cards working on servers IE i have a 2600 Poweredge. Now from what i have read that the main problem is the bus is PCI-X, but am i right in assuming this is backward compatible to PCI?? Now the problem is getting a decent PCI graphics card is hard, but i have discovered this one and it boosts that it works on Industrial PCI-X bus, IE for servers. ATI Radeon HD5450 2GB DDR3 PCI And for under £60, well its what everyone would want, reading all the posts worldwide it would make a lot of people happy. I have purchased one and hopefully it will work but i have a feeling i will get little help if it does not. The thing is i have read of so many PCI cards not working and some that do but no explanation as to why? If they are PCI then surely they should work????? as PCI-X is backward compatible. if WE all try really hard and get this card to work then all these threads would just stop if the demand was satisfied, would it not. Looks like ATI have produced this card just for older systems and is the answer i think we all want. But i am sure someone will come back with !! Buy a new PC!! , well i like mine, excluding graphics total quality!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks for the suggestion, I will perhaps try this, the complication (as you may know) is that if, on turning the onboard graphics off, the computer does not find the graphics card, the only way I can see to get the onboard graphics back is through a jumper reset (the jumper in case being buried under all the fans) which is awkward, and also resets the hard drives to not ATA (which I had to set them to to be able to get Linux to see the Windows OS) which the causes me to have to reinstall Linux after resetting the hard drives to ATA (not ideal).

I am not sure it is a conflict however, even without the additional (GT610) graphics card installed, I also cannot get output from the CUDA card, which came with the system.  It is this that is leading me to believe there is some configuration/setting preventing output to additional PCIe video cards.  As you mention it is a bit of an issue, not only will the matrox g200 not support aero, it also doesn't support many other things, such as opengl etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I understand (now) that the graphics cards are not 'supported' in this type of machine for video display.  As the cards can be installed and recognised by the system, I am wondering if there is anything that can be done to enable output, or at least to let me understand what about the machine is preventing output to the pcie cards.  Other similar posts, seem to suggest it is an issue to do with DRAC/iDRAC causing the conflict.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

@theflash, yes you are correct as servers are servers and do a specific job where video is not considered a priority, hence the provision of on-board matrox G200 which integrates rather nicely with the DRAC.

So i really should have re-read what i wrote before posting as it is a little incorrectly and awkwardly worded (cut and paste haste). My comment didn't really convey what i wanted to say. Suffice to say it would have been more accurate to write that graphics cards are not supported by Dell on the 11G and older servers and as such you will usually get the 'not supported reply for that reason. And as i first suspected there is some driver/hardware conflict between TELSA and GeForce, it could be better to initially seek an explanation from NVidia.

Now what is still confusing for me is that I understood that graphics cards were supported on the 12G servers. I even went through the exercise to configure a Quardo cards on a T620 12G servers when they were first released (but at the time of my post i could not even find a TELSA card in the T620 config options let alone a Quardo card)! So considering, Chris' response that graphics cards are "not for using for display, but as a graphic processor" is a little confusing. Is Chris' comment indeed correct and has something changed since the initial release of T620 or have i misunderstood something?

@ Joe.s, the TELSA cards I have seen do not have a video connector on them as they are designed for number crunching CUDA work, not video output. What card do you have?

As i mentioned, i would remove the TELSA card and and try the Geforce card on it's own, but drivers can be an issue. Note that drivers are common between TELSA and Quadro cards but Geforce cards uses different drivers. IFAIK, Geforce cards can not work with Quadro drivers so this may actually be your problem. Do you have access to a cheap NVS card you could try to install as it should save you from first having to remove the TELSA card and its driver. If not, you should find that GeForce card will work with a Geforce driver BUT later you will again have driver issues when you reinstalling the TELSA card.....

And I'm not sure why you have multi-boot issues and have to play within BIOS settings but i'm surprised you have to reinstall linux rather than just set BIOS to ATA before the first boot. With such a powerful machine, have you considered virtualization?

@Baff, the issue is not PCI vrs PCI-X, rather it is that the Matrox G200 can not be disabled in BIOS and thus add on graphics cards result in some form of conflict that stops the machine from booting, hence the hit and miss affair in finding a working graphics card. I have yet to read verifiable multi user confirmation that a specific add on graphics card works in 2600, 2900 2950 series servers. And one must note that server BIOS is constructed for stability, not a consumer focused overclocking culture that gamers are used to. I just wish Dell did release an updated BIOS that would allow disabling the on-board graphics on these older servers. This may just attract a younger crowd to old PE server hardware and familiarize this crowd with Dell which may just help sales in future (cheap investment really)...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@Skylarking Thanks, I will try your suggestion, of removing the CUDA card and drivers later today/tomorrow and see if I am able to use just the Geforce card.

I have the Tesla C2075, which has a single DVI output on it, I was not planning on using it for video output, but merely tried connect to it, to see if that improved matters, given that it came with the system.

What I find confusing, regarding the driver front, is that on disabling on board graphics (in the BIOS) I get no output to any of the video cards during the boot procedure, I thought that if there were a driver conflict  issue then this wouldn't kick in until the OS starts, which was leading me to think there is something in the BIOS/iDRAC preventing video output to ANY video card.  Please correct me if this assumption is not true!

Virtualization is a possibility, but from my understanding, it is difficult/impossible to utilise the CUDA card, whilst within a virtual machine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

I am confused why a PE T620, which was meant to have graphics capability, now seems not to allow Quadro or Telsa card selection when configuring to buy on-line !

Anyway, remember that you can not set 'integrated video adapter' to 'disabled' within the BIOS unless the BIOS detects a PCIe graphics card is installed in the system as this option would be grayed out (i am assuming T620 BIOS functions the same as T610 BIOS in this respect).

Now I'm not familiar with the Telsa cards and the C2075 specifically, but this NVidia PDF clearly states the card had dual link DVI connector supporting up to 1600x1200 resolution!

On this basis, the T620 BIOS should see this card as a graphics card and thus allow you to set the 'integrated video adapter' to 'disabled' within the BIOS (without any other graphics card installed in another PCIe slot within your system). If this is indeed the case, it would confirm that the BIOS does actually see the Telsa card as a graphics card in which case it may simply be you could have a faulty Telsa card.

To confirm if the Telsa card is faulty or not, you could try installing it in a consumer PC where it should output a signal to the monitor during boot process. Doing this removes some of the uncertainty around what capability the PE T620 actually has and instead focuses on the Telsa capabilities. If your Telsa card doesn't work in a consumer PC, I would suggest going back to the seller and discussing it with their tech support in view of getting the card replaced! If Dell was your seller, then i wouldn't even bother with testing in another PC and lay the issue at their Tech Support.

If the PE T620 BIOS does not allow you to set the 'integrated video adapter' to 'disabled' within BIOS when only the Telsa card installed, then the BIOS does not see the Telsa card as a graphics card, hence why you see no video signal output on the Telsa DVI connector. In this instance, I would still install the Telsa card and confirm it outputs video in a consumer PC before seeing the T620 (BIOS?) as the faulty component. Again, in this instance I would directed this issue to Technical support (seller or Dell).

If you have confirmed that the Telsa card is faulty, then by all means try the GeForce card in the T620 (obviously without the Telsa card installed) and see it that fairs better at displaying video during the boot process which it should. If you still get no video, then assuming the GeForce card works in a consumer PC, the issue is definitely with the T620 and again I would go back to technical support..

Some consideration needs to be given as to which PCIe slots have you tried using. Have you read the T620 HOM in relation to expansion slots which indicates GPU has 2nd priority in suggested slot to use is 4,5,7 and 2 and that the GPU enablement kit must be installed? I don't know what a GPU enablement kit is and have found no info on it but something to consider!

I guess it's worth mentioning multi (SLI) graphics cards in a system need some licensing for it to work, so this could be a cause of concern. It could simply be that the Telsa graphics card will not play together with the GeForce graphics card, with respect to how the SLI licensing is done. Quardo and GeForce have different licensing models from what i have gleaned. It could be that the card BIOSs may have some handshaking to do with the system BIOS with respect to SLI and this is where one conflict might occur. Further, when the OS is running, Telsa card may not work with a Geforce driver and GeForce card does not work with a Quadro(Telsa) driver.So you may still see issues outside Windows as I don't know what the graphics card BIOS does at boot time when multi GPU detected!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks to all, especially skylarking, I think I have arrived at some sort of workable solution.

Under Linux, after some configuration of xorg.conf I have been able to get X output onto any combination of graphics cards I choose.  Before X I seem limited to the onboard card.

I have therefore gone down the route of solely booting into Linux and am planning to use Windows within a Linux hosted virtualbox for times I need access to Windows only programs.  Hopefully this proves to be workable long term.

It is therefore clear that all the graphics cards are ok.  I think in the Windows case there could be some sort of driver conflict or conflict to do with the install order/slot position, though as I said before X (or similar) I have not managed to output on anything other than the onboard card.

Dell response to a request for getting a set up as I initially described was

"it is unlikely that we will get a resolution to this issue with the current setup (even with the latest firmware in place).

Ultimately what you are trying to achieve is outside of the ‘supported operations’ for the T620 Server, based on its Server ‘architecture’.

The display options and Graphics setup for these particular Servers are only supported in a specific configuration and unfortunately it would appear that your preferred configuration will not function."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Dell response to a request for getting a set up as I initially described was

"it is unlikely that we will get a resolution to this issue with the current setup (even with the latest firmware in place).

Ultimately what you are trying to achieve is outside of the ‘supported operations’ for the T620 Server, based on its Server ‘architecture’.

The display options and Graphics setup for these particular Servers are only supported in a specific configuration and unfortunately it would appear that your preferred configuration will not function."

But you understand why that is the answer they give ... it is the only answer they CAN give.  They do not have ANY documentation from the people who designed and worked with these machines as to what will and won't work and how - and no doubt the engineering teams did NOT test anything that was not a designed feature or function of the server.   The support agents also do not have access to machines to try anything on their end (although frontline agents can escalate troubleshooting of SUPPORTED features/functions to an analyst(s) to be attempted on a real/live/test machine).  Dell's only response can be "it is not supported", so it is up to users to try it and to troubleshoot any situation outside of Dell's design parameters, which are sufficient for more than 99% of users/uses.  Same thing with installing, say, Windows 7, on it ... it is not supported, but that doesn't mean it won't work, just that Dell will not assist you in attempting it, because they can give you no guarantee that it will work, not being purposefully designed to run it.  If you were opening a case with a Dell engineer (which isn't possible), they might be able to give you better insight into what will and won't work and why, but the frontline agents are given only the information on the system they need to assist customers with system hardware and other supported scenarios.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

The 12th generation servers differ in the fact that you can use the 3rd party video cards in them, but in a GPGPU use. Not for the sake of video display.

Now what is still confusing for me is that I understood that graphics cards were supported on the 12G servers. I even went through the exercise to configure a Quardo cards on a T620 12G servers when they were first released (but at the time of my post i could not even find a TELSA card in the T620 config options let alone a Quardo card)! So considering, Chris' response that graphics cards are "not for using for display, but as a graphic processor" is a little confusing. Is Chris' comment indeed correct and has something changed since the initial release of T620 or have i misunderstood something?

Now I'm not familiar with the Telsa cards and the C2075 specifically, but this NVidia PDF clearly states the card had dual link DVI connector supporting up to 1600x1200 resolution!

But you understand why that is the answer they give ... it is the only answer they CAN give.  They do not have ANY documentation from the people who designed and worked with these machines as to what will and won't work and how - and no doubt the engineering teams did NOT test anything that was not a designed feature or function of the server.

So what is the PE T620 design capability with respect to graphics cards as initially i was able to custom configure a quadro card with this server on Dels system soon after this server being launched but last time i checked i was not able to custom configure such! And as Quadro cards are definately intended for video output, not dedicated GPGPU cards (while Telsa C2075 is a GPGPU card which can also support video output according to NVidia). So i'm confused about the 12G servers graphics capabilities and at this point, should i buy a T620, i wouldn't be sure of anything!

Chris care to elaborate?

Theflash, i don't know what the technical issue is but as Dell initially offered these systems with Quadro and/or Telsa cards, i would expect Dell to support the systems they sold. When there are such complex issues, support should be able to contact the design group for assistance rather than spouting the 'not supported' line. It just seems wrong when 12G T620 initially provided add on graphics and now it seems it doesn't. It's wrong with little good will being shown by Dell. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

From my (limited) experience it appears something is going on somewhere (BIOS or system bus level) to stop video output on installed cards, while letting them install perfectly in every other way.  Why Linux is able to see the cards 'normally' I am not sure.  Although I appreciate that I am attempting to use they system in a way (it transpires) other than the way Dell envisaged, I am surprised that it is so hard to get an external graphics card to work for display, something I definitely did not envisage as being a problem when I ordered the system (which included a CUDA card).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

"i was able to custom configure a quadro card with this server on Dels system soon after this server being launched but last time i checked i was not able to custom configure such"

From the Technical Guide:

The T620 supports graphics processing unit (GPU) technology, providing accelerated performance for a variety of applications including virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) medical imaging and graphical rendering implementations.

http://i.dell.com/sites/content/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/dell-poweredge-t620-technica...

I haven't worked with one of these, so I don't know their limitations and capabilities, but I probably wouldn't expect "normal" graphics use from them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

TheFlash, it's probably that I'm seeing configuration options for my region (i hate such regionalization). So I looked again and still can't see any GPU options with the closest thing being "Additional PCIe cards". Using this, i can configure a T620 with a PERC H810 ($781.00) or a SAS 6Gbps HBA External Controller ($172.70) or a 750GB ioDrive2 ($14,529.90) or a 1.2TB ioDrive2 ($19,374.30) or even a 2.41TB ioDrive2 Duo ($37,997.30) if i sell a kidney. But I suspect you can get these items considerably cheaper than I can in my region!!!!.

Anyway, I just find this T620 graphics issue rather perplexing as Dell actually added PCIe video capability to this new server that my T610 server did not have (and my T620 had no issues with 'normal graphics' once i modified my graphics card to fit the 8x PCIe slot).

I still suspect there is an issue for Dell to look into, especially if the Tesla C2075 was purchased from Dell (and according to Nvidia, supports video output) but it seems hands have been washed of this problem! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

May i ask what graphics card you used for the 8x PCIe slot???

I have a 2900 poweredge and was wondering if it was any better than mine??

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

2.41 ioDrive Duo is $25,373.07USD from USA site, and H810 (for external storage) is $563.16USD ... roughly 30% cheaper in the US (looks like the USD and AD are pretty close to 1:1 right now).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Theflash, are you teasing me emoticon.Smile.title

In anyone's books, it's gouging. Dell & most others should be ashamed of themselves as greed is never a good thing and should not be placed on a mantel. Dell & others push technology and should themselves use the technology at their disposal to bring the globe together as a one world region. But then they couldn't make as much money gouging one region to the tune of +30% !!

Baff, likely that any card should be able to be modified to fit a 8x PCIe slot. I use a XFX Geforce7600 GS that i modified by cutting a slot in the PC board as below and then putting gaffer tape the part sticking out of the PCIe connector (later cut that part off).

I have yet to look into modding a much more powerful and modern graphics card as it has been working 100% for over a year 24/7 without missing a beat. But there are still some aspects of the PCIe buss i am not across (can't get a spec!) and yet to look into SLI/Crossfire! One day soon i hope...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I am using a Geoforce 7800 GTX, works great but i removed all the pins past x8.

I have just purchased a HD5450 PCI 2 gig DDR3 video card for my PCI-X slot , i choose this card as it claimed compatible with PCI-X and as it was PCI and not PCI-E. Maybe you can help, you seem to know your stuff.

Ok i Have:-

Dell Poweredge 2900 2 x Quad core 1.6 Ghz Zeon Intel processors.

Windows 7 ultimate on Sata Raid 5 array. Onboard graphics.

Ok i plugged in the card, worked without change of bios and onboard video disabled itself.

Loaded windows had output on all three outputs HDMI, VGA and DVI, when it got to windows login it switched to just the VGA output, windows run no problem and card was clearly working ok and could change display to 1860 dpi, all looked great, went to install drivers but did not see card at all.

In windows device driver, no graphics cards are displayed and i now have an issue with Standard PCI-to-PCI bridge cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12), looks like the driver is not working?? cant seem to find a driver for this.

i feel sure if i fix the PCI issue the card will magically apear.

And yet its clearly working.

Thanks in advance for at least looking.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Sorry but i have never had to deal with PCI-X cards so don't know about this interface. If you check wikipedia they usually have some useful information and maybe you can work out if there is some compatibility issue between your version of the PCI-X slot on the server and the version used by your graphics card that may be causing conflicts. Maybe there is also some BIOS setting to disable some features which will free some resources for PCI-X, don't know.

I am assuming you removed the GF7800 and not trying some odd SLI configuration as that should not work emoticon.Smile.title

IIRC, PCI has similar bandwidth to a 1 lane PCIe slot.

PCI-X i think has twice bandwidth of PCI slot.

My 8x PCIe card has 8x bandwidth of a PCI card and 4x the bandwidth of a PCI-X card.

Not 100% sure though.

But it seems you would still be better off getting and modding a more powerful 8x PCIe graphics card...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

joe.s i was updating my Nvidia Quadro graphics driver to version 311.15 today and noted the release notes had a rather interesting section on Tesla C2075 'modes' which i a shall repeat here:

C2075 TCC mode

Prior to version 275.89 of the graphics driver, the C2075 companion processor booted into standard (WDDM) graphics mode on 64 bit windows 7 systems. Starting with version 275.89, on 64 bit windows 7 systems the C2075 boots by default into TCC mode, not WDDM graphics mode. In TCC mode the C2075 behaves strictly as a computing GPU and does not drive or render to a graphics display.

It is possible to toggle between TCC and WDDM modes using the Nvidia smi utility:

nvidia-smi -g (GPU ID) -dm (0 for WDDM, 1 for TCC)

Finally, in mixed Nvidia Quadro + Tesla C2075 configurations, if a display is connected to it, the Nvidia Quadro boots into standard graphics mode and drives the display while the Tesla C2075 defaults to TCC mode.

Tesla Systems: nView not installed

This is expected behavior. For windows 7 and windows vista, nView installs only on Nvidia Quadro and Nvidia NVS systems, not Tesla systems.

So, if you want to use the Tesla card for graphics output, you need to use Quadro driver version lower than 275.89, or if using the latest drivers you need to set the Tesla boot mode to WDDM using the Nvidia smi utility as indicated above.

Also note that you can not use the hardware mix you have chosen. A GeForce card using a Quadro driver will not work, and likewise, a Tesla card using a GeForce driver will not work. Use the Quadro driver with any Tesla card or mixed Tesla and Quadro card setup.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Here is a suggested video for the Dell T420: www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlvIXorxTm4

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

RE: Use a PCI graphics card on Poweredge T620

Hi there,

May I ask you something real quick?! I am trying to put a computer together for video editing and came across the T620. I understand that this machine is not really made for video-editing, but I really like the looks of it, ha ha. I should probably not buy a computer because of it looks, but the T620 is also a serious computer. Having said all that, could I just install Windows 7 on this computer and not have any more issues with drivers and such?! I always thought that drivers are OS specific, which would mean, that once the OS is installed, I can install anything on it, as long Windows 7 drivers exist?! Right?!

thanks!

Georgios

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

I always thought that drivers are OS specific, which would mean, that once the OS is installed, I can install anything on it, as long Windows 7 drivers exist?! Right?!

That depends.  Some hardware and software need specific features of driver packages, so if that feature is not fully supported by the installed driver package (either because it is not fully compatible or because it was designed for different hardware), then it may not work properly or reliably.  What are you wanting to install on it?

The compatibility of video cards in servers is not just a matter of drivers ... it is also a matter of hardware resources and the system's ability to properly recognize and allocate those resources when hardware is introduced that was not tested/designed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

You again, ha ha. Thanks for the fast and detailed reply! I am really learning something here! I had no idea that it works the way you described it! It all makes a bit more sense now! Basically, what I am trying to do is, install Windows 7 on the T620, so I can run Adobe Premiere Pro, DaVinci Resolve and other video editing software on it. I would like to also install a GTX Titan graphics card in it. The reason I would like to do all that with a T620 is simple; I dig the T620! I believe it looks pretty slick, must be reliable and weights over 90 pounds, ha ha. What is not to like about this machine?! Let me ask you this: If it really is the "case/tower" I like, wouldn't it make the most sense to just get that that and install a "regular" mother board in it?! I mean, isn't it the motherboard that makes this whole Windows 7 thing "impossible"?! I really do not know that much about PC, but it certainly makes sense to me, that besides having to do some modifications, to the "regular" MB, one could install in it what one feels like, right?!

thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

"If it really is the "case/tower" I like, wouldn't it make the most sense to just get that that and install a "regular" mother board in it?"

Sure, but you need to know that not all parts in a T620 case are standard - you would need to ensure the power supply, backplane, controllers, control panel and other parts and connectors both fit and are compatible (which some of them likely will not and are not).  For example, the T620 uses a backplane to connect the hot-swap drives to power and to the RAID controller.  The backplane connects via cable to the motherboard as part of the power distribution of the system.  You would have to find a motherboard that had the proper connector AND was programmed to work with the electrical specifications of the backplane ... pretty unlikely.  The motherboard, because it is designed specifically for THIS system, may not even conform to standard motherboard specifications (holes, size, etc.).

"I mean, isn't it the motherboard that makes this whole Windows 7 thing "impossible"?"

Nobody is saying it is impossible - in fact, I would say it is probable that you could install Windows 7 on it.  The motherboard is made using a chipset and BIOS designed to run server-grade processors, memory, and hardware (like RAID controllers and high-end NIC's, etc.).  Neither Intel nor Dell designed these parts to work together outside of this configuration.  It might work, but it might not.

"besides having to do some modifications, to the "regular" MB, one could install in it what one feels like, right?"

Dell designs, sells, and supports complete hardware solutions - they are not in the business of making and selling parts to be used at will in any system or configuration that you please.  They do not design it specifically not to work, but they design it ONLY with their objectives and needs, often resulting in very reliable and powerful systems, but at the expense of extreme versatility and flexibility found in third party systems and parts.

As long as you go in understanding that this is not a custom-built PC using standard, retail parts, then experiment away.  I personally don't think it would be worth the trouble of changing parts, but installing an "unsupported" OS, as likely to install with little to no issues as Windows 7, is a different story ... go for it.  Just let us know how it goes.  We'll help where we can.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Sure, but you need to know that not all parts in a T620 case are standard - you would need to ensure the power supply, backplane, controllers, control panel and other parts and connectors both fit and are compatible (which some of them likely will not and are not).  For example, the T620 uses a backplane to connect the hot-swap drives to power and to the RAID controller.  The backplane connects via cable to the motherboard as part of the power distribution of the system.  You would have to find a motherboard that had the proper connector AND was programmed to work with the electrical specifications of the backplane ... pretty unlikely.  The motherboard, because it is designed specifically for THIS system, may not even conform to standard motherboard specifications (holes, size, etc.).

Interesting! I expected the motherboard to not fit right in, but that would have been an easy fix. Definitely sounds like it is not worth trying to install a "regular" motherboard in it, I agree. On the other hand, I research a bit more and it seems not that big of a deal to install windows on a T620. You just need to know what you are getting yourself in to, ha ha. 

"I mean, isn't it the motherboard that makes this whole Windows 7 thing "impossible"?"

Nobody is saying it is impossible - in fact, I would say it is probable that you could install Windows 7 on it.  The motherboard is made using a chipset and BIOS designed to run server-grade processors, memory, and hardware (like RAID controllers and high-end NIC's, etc.).  Neither Intel nor Dell designed these parts to work together outside of this configuration.  It might work, but it might not.

Like I said above, it is quite possible and apparently not that hard to do. However, the word hard is relative, LOL.

"besides having to do some modifications, to the "regular" MB, one could install in it what one feels like, right?"

Dell designs, sells, and supports complete hardware solutions - they are not in the business of making and selling parts to be used at will in any system or configuration that you please.  They do not design it specifically not to work, but they design it ONLY with their objectives and needs, often resulting in very reliable and powerful systems, but at the expense of extreme versatility and flexibility found in third party systems and parts.

That is why I want a Dell! Reliable and powerful...

As long as you go in understanding that this is not a custom-built PC using standard, retail parts, then experiment away.  I personally don't think it would be worth the trouble of changing parts, but installing an "unsupported" OS, as likely to install with little to no issues as Windows 7, is a different story ... go for it.  Just let us know how it goes.  We'll help where we can.

We are definitely on the same page here! Installing different hardware sounds pretty stupid, ha ha. But like you said, installing Windows 7 is a different story! As of right now I am leaning really hard towards a T7600. I believe, I cannot go wrong with picking one of those! The guy that puts it together for me, and sells them, is willing to "experiment" a little with installing Windows 7 on a T620!!! I let you know that goes!

thanks again for all the help and information!!!

G

p.s. I wonder how much resources it costs, to install VMWare and run Windows 7 from there?! According to their website, that is what a lot of people do... Install VMWare Workstation 10 on Windows Server 2008 and then run Windows 7?! Sure not the perfect scenario, but worth trying.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I am new to this thread and just recived a bunch of brand new T620 and was able to install windows 7 very easily.  I still however am unable to used the k2000 Nvidia graphics card that came with the system. 

Any resoloutions to this has anyone been able to get a graphics card to work in a t620.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Hey,

take a look at this thread:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/956/p/19538828/20502918.aspx#20502918

I had a "hard" time getting my EVGA GTX780Ti to work in my T620... Actually calling it hard is a joke, ha ha. All I had to do was disable to onboard video adapter and it worked right away...

G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

I just thought of one more thing... I am not sure if you already know this, but you also have to enable the card in the software you are using. I had to go and manually add my card to a file called "cuda_supported_cards.txt"... hope this helps?!

thanks,

G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Just for everyones education.  The k2000 graphics card does not have an input for its own power supply.  When I booted the machine using this video card (internal disabled) the video card started to draw power off the mother board it would cause an internal power failure and the system would crash.  In essence the video card is to powerful. I then installed an old Radeon x600 the system booted up immediatly and without problem with dual monitors.  So if you plan on using a t620 with dual monitors be careful which video card you use in it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Thanks for the info. I have two 1100W power supplies (obviously in redundancy) and I have no problem running my GTX 780 Ti with two monitors. Max resolution on my monitors is 1920x1080... not sure if higher resolution ones draw more power or not, but that is what  have and its working fine.

G

p.s. I am no computer wiz, but if your card causes the computer to crash when it only draws like 52 Watt max, doesn't that mean something else is wrong?! (Power Consumption Operational:51.1Watt)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have the same 1100w power supplies.  I dont think it necessarly not enough power in the box its that the k2000 pulls to much power from the pci slots on the mother board.  I also have a raid controller and an additional 4 port nic. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Wait a minute... I read somewhere, that the pci slots are only good for 25 Watts, or something like that. That would explain it...  The T620 can be ordered with a GPU installation kit, which I have. It is a bunch of power cables to hook up the GPU's... 

thanks,

G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

A PCIe slot comes in two flavors so to speak, one flavor that is used by devices consuming up to 25W and another flavor intended for graphics cards that can supply 75W from the slot. The PCIe flavor is chosen at the time the motherboard is designed and presumably impacts the firmware (BIOS) while a x16 PCIe slot in and of itself does not mean it is designed to feed 75W to the inserted card.

Also one must note the PCIe system allows the cards power needs (from the slot) to be negotiated at boot time (but will still limited by the hardware design). It''s for this reason that low power (<25W) graphics cards can be placed in non graphics PCIe slots and still work.

However, the T620 supports graphics capable PCIe slots that can feed a full 75W to the inserted card should the card negotiate such needs at boot time. And since i don't believe the two variants of the T620 (GPU enabled server and non GPU server) impact the motherboard design/firmware where the difference seems to be limited to cabling , to know which slot to use you will have to check the hardware owners manual for clarification...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Joe, can you tell me what you ended up using for a graphics card? I've got a Dell R620 and I want to try to get this working under Linux as well, but don't know which cards to try.

Thanks.

Jon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I used a nvidia gt610 card(s).  I then played with xorg.conf to tell linux (xubuntu) which cards to use to output to which monitors.  Until it gets to X it still outputs via the onboard graphics, so if I need to do stuff before X I have to switch a cable over.  The advantage of Linux is it lets you be pretty explicit in which drivers are to be used with which cards and the cuda drivers are still there to be used in coding.  Whereas in windows I was getting lots of driver conflicts etc. I think you can make life easier by using a low end nvidia card which can use the same driver as the cuda card.

The relevant bit of my xorg is below, hope it helps, I think there is some other good information above, which may well allow you to end up with a better set up, I however have got it working (just) and it seems stable, so now I am leaving well alone!  Be careful in terms of updates as you want to make sure it doesn't upset the nvidia normal, or cuda drivers.

Section "Monitor"

# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Samsung SyncMaster"
HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "Monitor1"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "DELL P2312H"
HorizSync 30.0 - 83.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "Monitor2"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Samsung SyncMaster"
HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce GT 610"
BusID "PCI:66:0:0"
Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device1"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:67:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device2"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:66:0:0"
Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "Stereo" "0"
Option "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-1"
Option "metamodes" "CRT-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen1"
Device "Device1"
Monitor "Monitor1"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "Stereo" "0"
Option "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-1"
Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen2"
Device "Device2"
Monitor "Monitor2"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "Stereo" "0"
Option "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
Option "metamodes" "CRT-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks. Were you driving multiple external monitors with those 610 cards or just using one for a monitor and the rest for CUDA?

Did you have any problems getting the card to fit? I notice that the slots use shorter brackets that most desktop cards that I'm used to using.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I now have 3 external monitors running from two 610 cards (the cards had two outputs each).

The cuda card is not involved in any graphics output, it is I believe a very bad idea to use it for graphics output and simulations at the same time.

I had no fitting problems, but I do remember double checking when buying as the low profile cards do not fit (I think).

Also as I mentioned, I think you can possibly make your life a little easier by using a quadro rather than geforce card as I believe they share a driver see http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/956/p/19502455/20377597.aspx#20377597

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

So the low profile cards don't fit? I was thinking that would ensure they fit. What dimensions will fit? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I believe, standard, non low profile cards, but perhaps your motherboard/box layout is different to mine?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I have just installed a cheap PNY NVIDIA Quadro NVS 315 1GB in a 16x PCIe slot. It's working well with 2 big monitors in my Dell Poweredge T620.

The trick is to disable default Dell graphics card in BIOS menu and wait a little when restarting. But now BIOS menu has stopped working, and if I want to modify it I have to reset configuration via internal jumper what is a<ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>.

Conclusion: external graphics cards work well, but custom Dell BIOS menu stops working.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I got this card NVIDIA NVS 315 - Graphics card - Quadro NVS 315 - 1 GB DDR3 - PCIe 2.0 x16 low profile - DMS-59 (A7008623) and it worked fine once I disabled the onboard video in the BIOS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

As I told in former post, BIOS and iDRAC menus dissapear when the NVIDIA NVS card was activated disabling internal graphics card, it's a minor issue for me (it can be restored via jumper).

But after trying a pair of days the card I noticed my computer very noisy, fans speed were around 2000rpm continuosly and when I restored the original graphic card the pc was totally silent (less than 1000rpm). After reading a lot in internet I reached the conclusion that the 'intelligent' Dell thermal algorithm is very silent in normal situations, but when it detects any card in a PCI slot fans increase speed (it thinks that is a TESLA big card, not a normal graphic card). There is no way to avoid this behaviour with the newest BIOS and iDRAC, so I came back to the crumpy Dell original card SILENCE IS IMPORTANT AT WORK 😞

PD: It would be nice if Dell updates the thermal algorithm in next bios or iDRAC versions to keep silence with small PCI cards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

@oligoelemento, all of the server class PCIe cards i have seen are passively cooled. And if you look into the specs for such server cards, they require big airflows to remain cool. On this basis, i very much doubt that Dell would expose any of it's cooling parameters in a firmware update as i suspect Dell would see it as risking card/machine warrrenty...

And as much as i would like to see such cooling parameters exposed in an official BIOS, the only way i see access to such parameters is if someone brighter than me managed a home grown BIOS hack for our Dell servers and documented how to reproduce the hack (as i'm not into blindly loading hacked BIOSes on my machines)...

Guess we can always hope [:?]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi,

I am trying to use Nvidia K5200 card in Dell T620 server. I installed Nvidia driver but i could not get anything from display. The onboard one is working. Do you have any additional information after this post. You are mentioning about xorg.conf that you could get output. If you don't mind could you share any information with me regarding the problem.

Regards,

--ufuk

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I had to go into the bios and disable the onboard video adapter.  This is what I had to do with my nvidea card to get dual monitors with a fedora OS on a t620. It should then boot to the card.  Unfortunately after disabling the onboard I am no longer able to get to the bios.  If I ever have to get into bios I have to open the box and reset the jumper. But I do have dual monitors on my t620.  Good luck

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

In my case, i have only one monitor Dell UP2414Q and i could not generate correct xorg.conf and xrand command gives no output "can't display" but i could see the card and monitor using nvidia-config file. I also tried to disable onboard graphics card but no luck. So, if you don't mind could you share your xorg.conf file with me. So, there could be a problem in mine. By the way,i could see the card with lspci.

Anyway, thanks for your help,

Regards,

> lspci | grep -i nvidia

42:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK110GL [Quadro K5200] (rev a1)

42:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK110 HDMI Audio (rev a1)

> nvidia-xconfig --query-gpu-info

Number of GPUs: 1

GPU #0:

Name      : Quadro K5200

UUID      : GPU-ad026db3-a748-2439-2844-4310e1d6e865

PCI BusID : PCI:66:0:0

Number of Display Devices: 1

Display Device 0 (talk):

EDID Name             : DELL UP2414Q

Minimum HorizSync     : 31.000 kHz

Maximum HorizSync     : 140.000 kHz

Minimum VertRefresh   : 29 Hz

Maximum VertRefresh   : 75 Hz

Maximum PixelClock    : 300.000 MHz

Maximum Width         : 3840 pixels

Maximum Height        : 2160 pixels

Preferred Width       : 3840 pixels

Preferred Height      : 2160 pixels

Preferred VertRefresh : 30 Hz

Physical Width        : 530 mm

Physical Height       : 300 mm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

By disabling the onboard video, in many cases where the graphics card is being operated by the OS, you simply are permanently locking yourself from getting into the bios. Because in most cases a server will not support video display over anything other than the built in KVM or something else. But it's not really likely you'll be able to choose, however in some setups you can change the IRQ numbers and I've been experimenting with that to change the output of bios with no success either. 

0 Kudos