Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2013 13:00

Virtual Media caching issue

When trying to add an .iso to virtual media, it takes about 20 minutes per 1MB to upload the 303MB .iso file. At this rate it will take about 4 days to finish mapping the data assuming there are no timeout errors. This can't be normal. 

5 Posts

M620. iDRAC7. There seems to be a few states during POST that are allowing the .iso file to transfer. ie; after firmware initialization in the reboot process, I see the kbps start to jump in the Virtual Media title bar. It goes back to 0kbps when the Lifecycle controller settings load up. Powering the M620 off does not allow the .iso to transfer to Virtual Media either.

• 

8.4K Posts

Ooremy,

What is the server model?

Also is the server up to date on BIOS, as well as ESM/Drac?

• 

8.4K Posts

May 22nd, 2013 14:00

Thanks.

BIOS 1.6.1- www.dell.com/.../poweredge-m620

iDrac - www.dell.com/.../poweredge-m620

Lifecycle Controller - www.dell.com/.../poweredge-m620

Let me know how it goes.

5 Posts

May 22nd, 2013 15:00

I started with the iDRAC firmware update, since that seems to be where my problems start. I did a iDRAC reset and then started the firmware update process, pointed to the file on a networked machine. It has been an hour and I still see "File upload in progress". It shouldn't take an hour to upload a 65MB file. There is probably a network issue on my end.

5 Posts

May 22nd, 2013 15:00

Since installing any of the firmware using virtual media was failboat/catch22; decided to enter the UEFI bios manager for fun. I was able to point to my initial .iso installer file and, voila, booted right into ESXi installer. UEFI is the way to go. Not sure why all the documentation out there skips over this point.

No Events found!