Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2009 18:00

Wondering if ordinary PCI Card will work in PCI-X Riser Card

I have a GE Force FX5500 which I want to put into a PowerEdge 2850 PCI Riser card. the riser card says 1300mhz and is PCI-X - called Dell but they were kind of unsure, the card fits into the first two slots, but is too short to fill all banks... do all three banks on the Riser Card need to be fille´d in order for the PCI Video Card to work?

The Fan spins on the Video card when connected, but the monitor stops working and there is no video once it is inserted, Server won't boot and with no screen.. .I am unable to do diagnostics.

Obviously the new video card is removed, and I am now remoting to the server to do diagnostics before inserting again, I was wondering if it has to do with the LSI Logical Drivers or something for the PCI bus?

Or maybe the FX5500 card from nVidia just ain't comaptible.

Any ideas???

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

March 20th, 2009 08:00

Theoretically a PCI card should work fine in a PCI-X slot. It does slow the slot down (from 133MHz to just 33MHz) as PCI videocards will generally just be 32-bit/33MHz (where PCI-X is usually 64-bit (the extra section on the slot)/133MHz giving up to 8 times the bandwidth).

However, there have been mixed results from people trying videocards in (Poweredge) servers. You can try a different PCI-X slot if there is one, but if the card doesn't work in any, you would want to look at a different card, or just use the onboard.

No Events found!