Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

August 28th, 2018 09:00

iDRAC 7 fails to connect to embedded NIC

A T620 Server with iDRAC 7 will not connect with the embedded NIC. As a result the NIC shows media disconnected. No visible signs that there is any activity on the NIC – lights on the NIC and switch it is connected to are unlit.

Running iDRAC settings 1.65.65.04, Firmware 1.20.20 (Build 24). Intel Gigabit 2P I350-t LOM 18.5.17. Lifecycle Controller 2 1.0.8.42.

Motherboard jumper set: iDRAC7 local access is unblocked at next power cycle.

Assume that the NIC on the back of the chassis labeled iDRAC is LOM but options have been tried between LOM and LOM1 with no change.

iDRAC Settings

IPv4 enabled, DHCP: no, Fixed IP address: 192.168.0.220, Enable NIC, NIC Selection LOM1, NIC Selection: All LOMs, Register DRAC on DNS: Disabled, IPMI Setting: Enable IPMI over LAN: Enabled, Privilege level: administrator. Lifecycle Controller: enable

Link Status: Disconnected (Connected to a switch – no lights on iDRAC MB port or switch.

LOM Configuration: Legacy Boot Protocol: PXE, Auto Negotiated, Wake on LAN: Enabled. Blink LEDs:0

From Lifecycle Controller. NIC card LOM: Static IP: 192.168.0.2. This is the address for the W 2008 R2 server. All NICs have this address on the Lifecycle Controller pages.

From the LOM properties on the server for this NIC card tried to set the IP address to: 192.168.0.220 but the card would not show this address on ipconfig \all.

I am seeking to apply the license using the Web interface to the IP address. BUT many attempts to get the NIC visible to the network have failed. Most of the configuration options have been tried with no change in NIC connection status.

How and I make the NIC visible with the fixed IP address?

Thank you.

• 

6.2K Posts

August 28th, 2018 12:00

Hello

The port with the iDRAC symbol on the back is the iDRAC dedicated port. You must have an enterprise license installed to use that port. If you do not have an enterprise license then it shares one of the interfaces with your LAN on motherboard. If you are using shared LOMs make sure you don't have the interface in a LAG. Also, some switches may not allow you to connect to the iDRAC from the same network interface, so you may need to connect to the iDRAC from another system.

I suggest that you update the iDRAC. The iDRAC and LCC were combined into a single update package with the release of 2.0. There should be a different category on the system support page for the combined update.

http://www.dell.com/support/

Thanks

August 28th, 2018 20:00

iDRAC Firmware is now 2.60.60.

Have an enterprise license BUT all the install procedures require iDRAC to work. In the BIOS set up I do not see how to configure iDRAC on a non-decided port. Without this the license cannot be installed, e.g. the iDRAC NIC will not allow the iDRAC interface to come up.

How can the license be installed?

• 

6.2K Posts

August 29th, 2018 09:00

If you have OpenManage Server Administrator or any other application that installs the DRAC tools then you can use RACADM commands to install the license. If you go to the iDRAC support page there is a RACADM CLI manual. Page 84 is where the section on iDRAC license management starts.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/idrac7-8-lifecycle-controller-v2.60.60.60/manuals

Thanks

August 29th, 2018 16:00

Solution

Updated iDRAC Firmware to the latest version.

Downloaded and installed during boot the iDRAC7 Local License Installation Utility. This is a 30 day temporary license.

Using the iDRAC interface installed the enterprise license.

Thank you.

1 Message

June 3rd, 2020 06:00

Hello, John

That's why i'm getting ? (i don't have enterpise license and idrac port in dedicated mode - by the way how to obtain it?) 

on:

ipmitool> lan stats get 1
Get LAN Stats command failed: Invalid command
ipmitool> lan print 1
Set in Progress : Set Complete
Auth Type Support : NONE MD2 MD5 PASSWORD
Auth Type Enable : Callback : MD2 MD5
: User : MD2 MD5
: Operator : MD2 MD5
: Admin : MD5
: OEM :
IP Address Source : Static Address