Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 3rd, 2022 07:00

iDRAC ASR and the Service Module...

Hi there,

I've noticed that you can enable the Automated System Recovery feature in the iDRAC at...

iDRAC Settings > Services > Automated System Recovery Agent

But that the actions to be taken by the ASR are configured under the Service Module settings at...

iDRAC Settings > Settings > iDRAC Service Module Setup

Does this mean that in order for the ASR to be able to react to an unresponsive system, you need to have the Service Module installed?

Thanks....

• 

3.7K Posts

October 3rd, 2022 12:00

Hello mostavern,

You are correct. You would need iDRAC Service Module or  OpenManage Server Administrator installed in the OS to configure the parameters.

https://dell.to/3CusECS

Automatic System Recovery

Automatic System Recovery feature is a hardware-based timer, which is used to reset the server in the event of a hardware failure. You can perform automatic system recovery operations such as reboot, power cycle, or power off after a specified time interval. This feature is enabled only when the operating system watchdog timer is disabled. If OpenManage Server Administrator is installed, this monitoring feature is disabled to avoid duplicate watchdog timers.

You can configure three parameters in this feature from iDRAC interfaces:

Watchdog state: The default state is enabled when OMSA is not present, and when BIOS or OS watchdog timer is disabled.

Watchdog timeout: The default value is 480 seconds. The minimum value is 60 seconds and the maximum value is 720 seconds.

Watchdog timeout Recovery Action or Auto Recovery Action: The actions can be Powercycle, Power Off, Reboot or None.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

December 29th, 2023 14:59

I dont suppose idrac can reinitialise its own os hopefully reinialise any hardware failure without rebooting and offlining the Host Debian Server. A hardware failure may not be critical. Example a mirror drive, or periferal card. If my Dell nvme card died the zfs pools would still operate fine, albeit with out the extra zfs cache so No need to reboot repeatedly untill a replacement card or whatever fulty component was received and ready to ready replace.

these are just hypothetical situations. perhaps I still dont comprehend Automatic System Recovery feature functioning rational. Idrac 8 Enterprise

-=smd=-

No Events found!