Start a Conversation

Unsolved

LD

14 Posts

May 23rd, 2022 11:00

iDrac 7 PowerEdge R720 license information help

Greetings. I have PowerEdge R720 с iDrac

But there are no signs of life, the indicator is off, it is impossible to connect through the web interface

First question, if the license for idrac is missing, should the LED indicate this?

it should burn in color or go out

The second question is how to check the installed license for iDrac, because the license was not installed by the service code when buying, iDrac value is 0

528-10002 : iDRAC7 Express

Part Number

KMCM0

Description

INFO,IDRAC7 EXPRESS

Quantity

The third question is whether this is due to the broken BMC and IPMI, they are both disabled and there are errors on them. LifeCycle Controller is also disabled in POST and unable to update firmware, not system collecting Inventory and BIOS configuration save errors

20220523_030624.jpg

May 29th, 2022 06:00

I have 2 questions left:

1. Does the configuration info mean that I have iDrac installed out of market? and how to find out the installed version of iDrac?

2. How can I restore the factory state of the server in "2 clicks" out of the box, because I suppose the server was flashed with an alternative firmware for an illegal iDrac license, or the server is possible was hacked and loaded with a bios backdoor. The server was bought second-hand in the secondary market and there is no way to return it to the seller

P.S. When I insert the SD card in recovery firmimg.d7 in debug mode iDrac, the LED on the back panel starts flashing orange, but the SD card server does not accept "firming.d7 is bad".  I tried different versions, or rather everything that is from the Dell website

The situation is the same with all versions of firmimg.d7, the server starts reading them, unpacks them, but at some stage an error "84" occurs

I hope Dell will not leave me alone in this issue with a non-functional server in order to return it for use in the factory state as at the time of sale

May 29th, 2022 07:00

Screenshot_20220529-171629_Chrome.jpg

How accurate is this info? How do I know which version of DRAC I have installed? Base or Express?

• 

3.1K Posts

May 30th, 2022 02:00

Hi @Lorenso-Denis,

1. Since the iDRAC is not able to start, we are not able to find out what is the version of iDRAC is installed on the server. The next thing to follow is to check the order of the server that you have purchased from. 

2. No, there is no way of restoring factory default, there is no backup memory on the server that it can access to, to load default settings. If it has been flashed, it is permanent. 

Have you tried to use another SD card, formatted to FAT32. Could you capture the exact error message. Again, to identify the server's components, is to check the order of the server from the seller. 

May 30th, 2022 05:00

firmimgrec.jpg

firmimgrec1.jpg

firmimgrec2.jpg

 4GB SD card is the same

"firmimg.d7 might be bad"

Screenshot_20220530-151704_Chrome.jpg

 What does the tag service tell us which iDrac is installed?

May 30th, 2022 06:00

There are also iDrac boot logs, I'll throw them off a little later. Hoping for your hints to bring the server into a usable state. I got it like that and the seller does not get in touch to clarify with him what he did with him

• 

3.3K Posts

May 30th, 2022 06:00

Hello Lorenso-Denis,

Did you try redownload the firmware to make sure you got a good download?

I see you have mentioned the Lifecycle Controller is disabled. These are steps to re enable:

-boot to F2 -> System Setup -> iDRAC Settings -> Lifecycle Controller to check status

-Choose: Lifecycle Controller set to Enabled

-Collect System Inventory on Restart set to Enabled.

-Cancel Lifecycle Controller Actions set to Yes.

Next I recommend a minimum to post configuration during your testing.

Minimum to post  (this is minimum components to POST, it won't boot, this is to test POST, with no errors.

If successful POST, put things back a little at a time until find faulting component)

The minimum components to allow the Dell™ PowerEdge™ R720/R720xd to complete POST are as follows:

• One Power Supply
  • Control Panel (for power button functionality)
  • Working cable connection between control panel and system board
  • One Processor (CPU) in socket CPU1 (minimum for troubleshooting)
  • One Memory Module (DIMM) installed in socket A1
  • System Board
  • Backplane (for R720xd control panel connection)

Remove anything not on that list:   NVMe,  DVD, Hard drives, PERC controller, backplane, network card, NIC cable, any pcie cards,  USB devices, ….  anything not on the list remove. You can keep monitor and keyboard attached.

If it does not post successfully,  then the issue is with one of those components. If it continues with iDRAC is not ready then the system board may need replaced.

• 

3.1K Posts

June 1st, 2022 20:00

Hi @Lorenso-Denis,

If you have tried most of the troubleshooting methods provided above the comments and the issue still persist, we can't revive the server. From your screenshots, it seems that the iDRAC NAND component is corrupted and unable to be recovered. A mainboard replacement is needed.

No Events found!