Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2013 08:00

openmanager question

I want to monitor dell servers via snmp, but all i read tell me i need to install openmanager to get advance monitoring. This is the case, i have a open software to monitoring snmp and i want to centralized monitoring on it, i do not want to get server install local managing only external, and not web access to open manager, only i want get advancwe snmp work in order to retrieve data from other server. Is that possible? how?.

If not possible what option do I have? 

• 

8.7K Posts

August 12th, 2013 09:00

That’s right about using OME for the R720 and IT assistant for the 2950. The R720 comes with the iDRAC express, so that one you can configure to use SNMP directly with Openmanage Essentials directly.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20360840.aspx

• 

8.7K Posts

August 12th, 2013 08:00

What model servers are you trying to monitor? Installing Openmanage Server Administrator on the servers and having one system with Openmanage Essentials that collects the data from the other servers will work on 11th and 12th generation servers, older servers will need IT Assistant as the central tool for collecting data. You can disable the service for the web interface if you don’t want to use it. On the 12th generation servers if you have the iDRAC installed it can do SNMP natively and you do not need to install Server Administrator.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_software/esuprt_ent_sys_mgmt/esuprt_ent_sys_mgmt_opnmng_svr_admin/dell-opnmang-srvr-admin-v7.3_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

page 18

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_software/esuprt_ent_sys_mgmt/esuprt_ent_sys_mgmt_opnmng_svr_admin/dell-opnmang-srvr-admin-v7.3_Reference%20Guide3_en-us.pdf

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Josh ... can you clarify or provide documentation on older systems requiring ITA?  I was under the impression that OME could monitor more than just 11G/12G systems.

Thanks for replay. I will now put my hands on this. Thanks

• 

8.7K Posts

It will work on older systems, you can try it and see if it pulls all the information you need, sometimes IT assistant works better on older systems.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20061812.aspx p13 does show that it should work, so I would try just OME, just some of the advanced newer features will not be available on older systems.

I have R720 and 2950 Servers. I do not have IDRAC.

So for the 2950 i will need  Open Manager IT Assistance and for r720 i will need Openmanage Essentials.

No Events found!