Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2015 15:00

poweredge 2950 no power up

I have a few poweredge 2950 servers and they have bin siting for about 6 months now , so I went to power them up and noting happens no lights no nothing iv taken the power supplys out and switched them between the 2 servers and nothing. is there a master reset for the power supplys ?

• 

6.2K Posts

March 6th, 2015 17:00

Hello

Are you getting LEDs on the system board or power supplies. If you are not getting LEDs on the power supplies then I would check your power source and power cables. If all of the power supplies fail to power on then it is likely there was an environmental issue that affected all of them while they were not being used.

Thanks

3 Posts

March 6th, 2015 20:00

no leds on power supplies or mb , they both was working fine till I let them sit do to a long move house to house but now nothing at all don't make any sence all 4 would go out at the same time

• 

6.2K Posts

March 7th, 2015 09:00

no leds on power supplies or mb , they both was working fine till I let them sit do to a long move house to house but now nothing at all don't make any sence all 4 would go out at the same time

You should get lights on the power supplies if they are connected to a power source. I just pulled a power supply out of one of my 2950s and connected a power cord. I had a green LED on the PSU without it even connected to the server. If you are not getting LEDs on any of your power supplies then I would suspect that the power supplies, power cables, or power source is failed.

Since all of the components appear to have failed I would suspect an environmental issue occurred while they were being stored. If all of the PSUs are failed then there are likely other components that are failed.

Thanks

34 Posts

June 4th, 2015 18:00

Sorry to bump:

A 2950 will do this if one of the PSUs is bad and the CMOS battery is dead. You will not even see a greed LED on the good PSU until it has powered up at least once in the chassis.

Remove the CMOS battery and see what happens.

My test case was a 2950 that had been running a long time and refused to power back on. After removing the CMOS battery the server will power up regardless of whether the good/bad PSUs are inserted in slot 1/2 or 2/1.

It is also possible removal of the CMOS battery effected a BIOS reset...... certainly I have seen weird stuff like this happen on other hardware when there were BIOS setting integrity issues.

w

3 Posts

June 6th, 2015 02:00

I did remove the cmos battery and nothing still , I have 2 2950's and tried all 4 psu's still nothing lol oh well think it's a dead mb not psu, cant see all 4 dieing at the same time

No Events found!