Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 24th, 2017 08:00

Can't install on PowerEdge R730

Using an USB stick, I boot into the device, select "Install CentOS 7" and my screen turns blue with vertical black stripes all over - this is with in UEFI mode. In BIOS mode, a short message "No controller found" appears (after also selecting the Install option) and then the screen turns black.

I cannot see any error message, except the one in BIOS mode. The server does not respond.

I have used this same USB stick to install in other servers, so I don't think it has something to do with a corrupt installation or something of that sort.

I have also tried to install another operational system in it: Red Hat and Ubuntu and only the latter worked. With RH I faced the same issue as with CentOS.

• 

8.5K Posts

April 24th, 2017 10:00

Hi,

What version of RHEL/CentOS are you trying to install? Which controller is in the server? 

3 Posts

April 25th, 2017 02:00

Red Hat 7 and CentOS 7. I also tried CentOS 6.9 and faced the same issue.

11.4 SATA controller: Intel Corporation C610/X99 series chipset sSATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 05)

00.0 RAID bus controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS-3 3008 [Fury] (rev 02)

• 

8.5K Posts

April 25th, 2017 09:00

Are you using front usb or rear usb ports? If it is rear ports you may want to try turning off usb 3 in the system setup. Also make sure in the iDRAC settings that the usb management port is set to automatic or standard os use. 

1 Message

July 2nd, 2018 08:00

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem. I'm using the front ports and the usb management port is set to automatic.

I've already tried the instalation of CentOS 7 in both BIOS and UEFI mode but the result is similar. After I select the 'Install CentOS 7 ' option in the initial installation menu, it starts loading but the image with the stripes appears after the message  "No controller found". The image with the stripes is in BIOS mode, in UEFI mode is just a black screen.

My machine is also a PowerEdge R730 and regarding the embedded SATA config I also tried in both AHCI and ATA mode with the same result.

Can someone help me here?

No Events found!