Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 7th, 2004 10:00

Error: You could not be authenticated on this server

The following error is displayed in the Terminal Services Manager on our domain controller (DC-01) when trying to connect to Terminal Services on another server (TS-01).

"You could not be authenticated on this server"

This occurred when we upgraded the Terminal Server from Windows 2000 Server to Windows Server 2003 on TS-01.  Interestingly I'm able to map and access TS-01's drives.

Another symptom is that Veritas Backup Exec "cannot authenticate" to the TS-01 in order to backup the registry (Shadow Copy).

Before the upgrade we could always access TS-01 via Terminal Services Manager and backup it's registry with Veritas BE.  Any idea what could be wrong and how to fix this problem?

Thanks - Steve Snure

135 Posts

July 7th, 2004 17:00

There are only three possible causes for this error: 1) The server has been shut down. 2) You have not been authorized to access the server. 3) Terminal Services is not running on the server.

Sounds like # 2. Double check all the permissions.

14 Posts

July 7th, 2004 19:00

From where should this be done?  The Domain Controller?  The Terminal Server?

Here's what I've done so fare without success...

1) I've checked the Documents & Settings folder on the Terminal Server and found that Authenticated Users (which all Remote Desktop Users are Members of) have read/write permissions.

2) The Remote Desktop User accounts all show they're a member of Authenticated Users on the Domain Controller.

3) I have disabled all policies.

Thanks - Steve

July 15th, 2004 22:00

Double check that your username and pword on the Veritas BE is correct.  For some reason, ours decided to reset itself as soon as we had some work done on it, and we got (what sounds like) the same error message your'e encountering.  It's an authentication issue.

14 Posts

July 16th, 2004 00:00

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  Just last night I was able to get my first successful backup.  But to do so I had to delete the existing Veritas BE backup job and create a new one.  That contradicts Veritas' site that says that VBE is smart enough to know and inform users when it has been configured to back up "System State", which is found only on Windows Server 2000.  Windows Server 2003 replaced System State with Shadow Copy.  When I attempted to modify my original backup job (created while my terminal server was running W2k server) it gave me no indication that it was trying to backup System State. 

However, I still wonder if there is an authentication problem of some kind since I could not "push" Veritas Remote Agent" to my terminal server.  I received an error in the process indicating there was in fact a problem with authentication.  As you had suggested I re-selected the account that was authorized to access that server, but the error remained.  Also, ever since upgrading my terminal server to W2k3 I've been unable to access it via my domain controller's Terminal Server Manager.  I also receive an authentication error.  Very strange.

...Steve

No Events found!