Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 30th, 2014 12:00

NEW Poweredge T320--->Incorrect Internal Domain Name Used--->Currently locked out of system as administrator

Received Dell Powered T320 Server with windows server 2012 r2 preinstalled. I set up an administrator account. Then when asked for internal domain name I used JAMPRODUCTIONS.local and set it up from there along with another administration account. This server was an upgrade from an older Windows server 2003 and I simply wanted to set it up with the domain used on that computer (also a .local but not JAMPRODUCTIONS). I then attempted to change the incorrect domain to the correct one. As of now I am locked out of all logins (so it seems). When I attempt to login to JAMPRODUCTIONS ADMIN it says password incorrect when I know I'm typing in the correct password. 

Nothing had been put on the server of any importance. Only what dell had previously installed would be important. I have the Windows server 2012 R2 disc. Is there a way to start over and do it right with the correct .local internal domain. 

Your help is greatly appreciated 

Thank You!

• 

8.4K Posts

December 31st, 2014 12:00

Will this take out Dell's Lifecycle? and can I use the same Windows Server 2012 r2 essentials disc and key?

Not at all. The Lifecycle Controller isn't found within the OS, or even within the drives. It is embedded to the system itself.

How easily can this issue be fixed?

All you would need to do is boot back to the Lifecycle controller (F10)  and select OS Deploy and reinstall the OS. There shouldn't be any reason to even have to touch the raid configuration or anything. Just need to reinstall the OS. If it doesn't see the drives then we will need to load the Raid driver. If this occurs let me know, as well as let me know the raid controller installed and I can get you the necessary driver.

• 

8.4K Posts

December 31st, 2014 09:00

BlueOx15,

To start let me clarify some information with you. Specifically the version of Server 2012 R2. Is this Standard or the Essentials versions? I ask as you can have other Domain Controllers running Standard, but are limited to only one Essentials server. 

In regards to the issue at hand, what it sounds like and correct me if I am wrong, is that you first made the new server a domain controller, then decided to change the domains name to match the old domain. If that is correct, and you're using Essentials, then that's not going to work, you will probably need to wipe it out  and start the install over from scratch. That is likely the best option.

If you're not using essentials then you may be able to boot into Directory Services Restore Mode and remove Active Directory from there, at which point you will be able to log into the local admin account on the server, then join it to the existing domain rather than creating a new one.

Let me know.

4 Posts

December 31st, 2014 11:00

Yes it is essentials. Yes I believe (The second login described as Internal Domain Name) I made JAMPRODUCTIONS the main controller domain (We run Various festivals and the right domain was named after another one).  What I need to do is match it with the old one (still being used on the old server and active). Looks like next step will be wiping it.

Will this take out Dell's Lifecycle? and can I use the same Windows Server 2012 r2 essentials disc and key?

other than doing most of everything wrong in setting up the server, nothing was on there from our business.

How easily can this issue be fixed?

I appreciate the reply! Ive haven't been able to get a hold of my Dell rep the last week or two so hearing something is nice.

Thank You

4 Posts

January 5th, 2015 06:00

I went on to reinstall the OS. 

1. Went to lifecycle

2. Went to Deploy OS

3. Step 1 of 6: Select Deployment path (Go Directly to OS Deployment) Next

4. Step 2 of 6: Select OS (Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2) Next

5. Sep 3 of 6:Select Installation Mode (Manual Install) Next

6. Step 4 of 6: Select Boot Mode (BIOS) Next

7. Step 5 of 6: Insert Media 

These are the steps I did and after it booted it took me right back to the Windows server menu with all the same login material which I cannot get into. 

Is there an actual reinstall OS link on lifecycle. Or what would I be doing wrong?

Thanks

4 Posts

January 8th, 2015 06:00

Spoke with pro support who walked me through a reinstallation and the server is now back to normal!

Thank You

No Events found!