Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

December 14th, 2015 05:00

Trying to install Windows Server 2008 R2 on a Poweredge 2900 with PERC 5/i controler

Hello,

I Have a Poweredge 2900 Server with PERC 5i on wich I try to install windows Server 2008 R2.

My 3 disks are RAID 5 configured and appear in the RAID Configuration Utility (Ctrl-R)

But when I run Windows Server 2008 R2 setup, it doesn't see any disks. It ask for a driver.

I found a set of drivers on Dell support web site (R211424). When I try to use this driver set, the system display a list of 9 controlers with my "DELL PERC 5/i integrated RAID controler".

When I choose this driver, the system run but doesn't accept to use it and display an error message saying "No new peripheral found. Check driver files..."

Note that If I boot on the RAID virtual disk, Windows 2003 is launching w/o problem. So the RAID array is in good health and is recognized by Windows 2003.

Is there anybody who knows exactly how to install Windows Server 2008 R2 on a Poweredge 2900 with PERC 5/i integrated controler (What way ? What drivers ?)

Thank you.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 14th, 2015 12:00

The PERC 5 drivers are built into Server 2008 R2, so there is nothing to load.

You say it "asks for a driver" ... what exactly does it say? If it is "asking" for a driver, it probably isn't asking for the RAID/storage drivers. When it needs storage drivers, it doesn't usually "ask" ... it usually just shows no disks found.

What is your BIOS version?

1 Rookie

• 

62 Posts

February 18th, 2016 06:00

Have you tried downloading the boot image from the Dell site (if it's still available - I assume it is) - this prepares the server under Windows PE and then asks for the Windows Server DVD.

That said, I have also tried installing a 2900 by booting directly from the Server 2008 R2 DVD and that worked on the 2900 I tried it on.

No Events found!