Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2014 02:00

Upgrading Firmware on DELL R710 ESXi 5.5

Hi There,

I am having a real headache with trying to update my firmware via the Dell OpenManage Intergration plugin for vCenter, if I try and upgrade this firmware via the plugin I get the below error message:

I downloaded DELL repository manager and setup SUU for a USB with linux as the chosen platform, (I think this is correct for ESXi?) as there was only that other windows. I then tried updating my drac/life cycle controller via the UEFI with my USB repository, I had a progress bar come up and then the server rebooted, but the version has not changed!

Can anyone help?

• 

8.8K Posts

September 8th, 2014 08:00

Zade Cross,

The issue you are running into is that the server won't be able to update from within the Host. You can update via the Lifecycle controllers (F10 at startup) Platform update using the FTP.dell.com site. You can also extract the repository from the SUU and then run the Platform Update with it as well.
You have another choice as well. You can boot to the Build Update Utility, found here - http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=NF1CT&fileId=2731102793&osCode=WS8R2&productCode=poweredge-r710&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SM

and then at the menu swap out the BUU ISO for the SUU and then run the update.  

The Server Update Utility is found here - 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=D9V9X&fileId=3197590144&osCode=XI55&productCode=poweredge-r710&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SM

Let me know how it goes.

4 Posts

September 9th, 2014 08:00

4 Posts

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the information, but we are trying to test OpenManage on the evaluation version to potentially buy it as a company, is it because of my firmware version that I cannot upgrade the host?

Can you explain why I am getting this error as I thought that was one of the features for OpenManage the fact you could upgrade form a central location?

4 Posts

I am clicking on Run Firmware Update Wizard from the OpenManage Integration tab in vCenter on the host, if we go in via the lifecycle controller and select FTP and update, it says there are no updates, but looking at the firmware versions you can see that surely there are newer updates available.

• 

8.8K Posts

September 11th, 2014 05:00

If you use the repository from the SUU ISO I gave you instead of the FTP it should update with the most recent, as the SUU I gave is the most current. The FTP package might not be showing that repository version yet.

No Events found!