Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2015 15:00

Win SBS STD 2008 OEM DVD

Hello,

I need to reinstall the OS on my server but I no longer have the OEM DVD that contains the installer. I called support to request a new DVD. However, they said I should come here and try my luck. According to support I should be able to launch some command in the bios to allow me to use Volume DVD for my install. Anyone familiar with the process?

thanks,

Monkey

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 31st, 2015 16:00

I don't know what process you (he) are talking about. There is no command in the BIOS that will allow you to reinstall the OS without first obtaining OS installation media.

You can use installation media from anywhere, but finding it might be a chore. If you have access to TechNet/MSDN, you can download and use that image. If not, you will need to check places like eBay for installation media.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 1st, 2015 08:00

It didn't sound like that to me ... at all. He said he doesn't have the media.

Unless he does have VL media, in which case, yes, he would need to set the boot sequence in the BIOS to boot to DVD before HDD (or hit F11 to choose a one-time DVD boot if the factory install is still in place).

15 Posts

November 1st, 2015 08:00

Perhaps the user is referring to the "Boot Order" setting in the BIOS?

2 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 07:00

Thank you all for your replies. I have the VL version installed on the system but I can't use the OEM key on it. I tried to add the key with slmgr and no luck. I did see that some users on the forum were able to get it to activate. I will try ebay or something similar to get the OEM DVD. 

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 2nd, 2015 09:00

You will need to convert the VL key to OEM (try "slui.exe 0x3" + your OEM key at the Command Prompt) or you may be able to activate by phone.

No Events found!