Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2009 13:00

poweredge t110 server 2003 hanging

just purchased a poweredge t110 and am  trying to install server 2003 (the system did not come with the system management dvd so i had to download that)

i have ran through the automated setup from the dvd let it copy the files from my server 2003 install disc

when the system gets to setup is starting windows it just freezes.

numlock will not work it is just locked solid

i have tried to redo it 3 times with the same result.

any ideas?

3 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 08:00

i just tried to redo the install with a slipstreamed version of server 2003 and sp2 on it with the same results

i have found another conversation on slickdeals website where a poster said he was having issues doing this as well he also tried windows xp and got the BSOD

any thing else to try?

December 18th, 2009 16:00

For anyone else having this problem, I figured out after a protracted back-and-forth with Dell technical support that Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition is NOT a supported operating system, you need a version of windows server 2003 that is marked "R2". According to microsoft's web site (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/R2/R2FAQ.mspx), you need to purchase a new server license for R2:

Q. What are the differences between Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2003 R2?
A.

Windows Server 2003 SP1 is a service pack that provides product updates to the Windows Server 2003 operating system. Windows Server 2003 SP1 contains additional features to increase security and improve functionality. SP1 is a free product update and can be easily downloaded or ordered on a CD-ROM.

Get more information about Windows Server 2003 SP1.

Windows Server 2003 R2 is an update release of the Windows Server 2003 operating system that is built on top of Windows Server 2003 SP1 and includes new product features, specifically in the following areas: branch office management, identity and access management, and storage management. Windows Server R2 requires a new server license and is available for purchase through the same channels as Windows Server.

4 Posts

March 1st, 2010 13:00

I will add server 2003 R2 with SP2. I just try 2003 standard R2 without SP1 or 2 and it didn't work. stop 0x0000000a. It's written in the configuration tool to use R2 SP2

18 Posts

September 23rd, 2010 10:00

I struggled with this problem as well. I tried using the Dell Systems Build utility ver 6.3 that I had just received via subscription. That blue screened during the Windows install. I tried doing an install using a Windows Server Standard R2 with SP2 CD and that blue screened as well. I then tried that install and loaded the Perc 100 drivers using a USB floppy and that seemed like it was going to work but after creating the partition in the Windows server install, it asked for the floppy again, but would no longer see the usb floppy drive. ARGGGG!

I finally resolved by downloading the .iso file for the Dell Systems Build utility directly from the download section specific to my server (using the service tag). File name was cdu_1.4_core_277_A00.iso. I burned this to a DVD and it worked. Install completed successfully. I almost had tears in my eyes after 2 days of blue screens!

347 Posts

September 23rd, 2010 14:00

thats very interesting since the cdu_1.4_core_277_A00.iso is SBUU v6.3. The subscription kit contains SMTD (systems management tools & Doc) and SUU (server Update utility). the SMTD uses SBUU as the OS installation method.

3 Posts

February 2nd, 2011 19:00

Thanks Jim!! That worked!!!

1 Message

March 30th, 2011 15:00

Hi Jim_Milano !!

Im from Mexico and I have the same problem.

I bought a server dell T110 with OS Windows Server 2008 Fundation, but I want to change the OS to Windows Server 2003 Standard. First I tried  using the file that you say  cdu_1.4_core_277_A00.iso (Dell Systems Build utility ver 6.3) but I have the problem during the windows install (the blue screen).

Second, I tried using the Server Update Utility 6.4 because is a option from Systems Build utility ver 6.3, but when I try to install the OS, I have the same problem.

Do you think that I have to download the file from the section specific to my server (using the service tag)?

Thanks a lot

Stefanie

5 Posts

January 31st, 2012 04:00

Hi,

I got around this error by switching the SATA controller to ATA mode in the BIOS. The default is AHCI (www.intel.com/.../ahci.htm)

I believe the AHCI specification is NOT compatible with Windows 2003.

1 Message

April 13th, 2012 13:00

Hi Jim,

I've the same issue I've downloaded the file u mentioned and once I started booting from it it  gives me an error indicate that the system is not support and still having the same problem and i can't install windows server 2003 r2. kindly if u have another solution give it to me it's urgent.

thanks

1 Message

April 28th, 2012 02:00

In my opinion you deserve to try,never mind ...

tissot watches repair usa

No Events found!