Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 19th, 2013 04:00

"Media not found" on R210 while deploying OS via System Services

Hi,

I have 4 X Dell R210  (Gen11) servers with iDrac 6 express (no console available). I have updated the BIOS, System Services Console and deployment drivers to the latest versions via the DRAC and System Services console. I have been able to install Windows Server 2012 on 2 of the servers without problems – using an ISO from Microsoft and the Load OS option on the System Services.

2 of the servers just refuses to read the same DVD that worked on the other 2 servers. I have swapped DVD drives with no change in result. (well, only my sanity degrading at this moment in time)

Does anybody have a solution or idea what I can do or check?

My next step is to use OME to deploy the OS via the network and to side step the System Services window - I have however never done this and the DVD was the easiest process at this moment in time.

Also, how can I force a DVD install via the bios boot? or force the ISO via a bootable USB?

• 

6.2K Posts

October 19th, 2013 15:00

my only assumption is that there is something wrong on the SATA interface. I have swapped drives with the same effect.

Yes, I would suggest checking these things:

• SATA Settings in BIOS(F2) - Default is AHCI Mode
  • Reseat SATA cable - Should be connected to SATA C
  • Test in a different SATA slot
  • Test with a known good cable

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

October 19th, 2013 11:00

Hello David

Have you tried to just boot from the OS DVD and not use the lifecycle controller to install?
What exactly happens when it fails?
Is the boot mode set to BIOS or UEFI?

Also, how can I force a DVD install via the bios boot? or force the ISO via a bootable USB?

You can specify the boot device via F11 during POST.

Thanks

3 Posts

October 19th, 2013 14:00

Hi,

I did try directly from the OS DVD and same effect. I also tried the BIOS and UEFI boot options - and each time the response is that there is no bootable media in the drive.

I got the System Management Toolkit and got the same error from the DVD - my only assumption is that there is something wrong on the SATA interface. I have swapped drives with the same effect.

3 Posts

October 20th, 2013 23:00

Thank you Daniel.

I found the problem! I had 2 faulty DVD drives. In a final attempt, I switched the DVD from a working server and it is installing as I am typing this :)

No Events found!