2 Posts

December 2nd, 2018 07:00

Full Write Fails Powervault TL4000

Hi,

My Netvault backups started to fail. Set up is 

Tl4000

4- IBM ULTRIUM 6 HH 3580 TAPE DRIVE

2- Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA

Ran ITDT diagnostics on all the drives. The Full Write Test fails on every drive with different tapes. The last attempt Full Write ran for 50 minutes, 935327 MB written then failed in the usual manner -- write error. At a higher level I am seeing similar results. Backups run for a while..could be an hour or more,  then fail with the error --

Command Failed re-initializing Driver.

(NT) Device I/O control failed (22,3)

(NT) Windows NT Kernel SCSI Passthrough unrecoverable NT kernel error
NetVault Backup   

CMD failed: errno 3

NetVault Backup

Kind of at a loss for where to look for the problem at this point. From a hardware perspective, nothing has changed. Things were just chugging along then started to fail. First noticed some backup failures. Rebooted everybody and it was working again. I can do small backup test successfully but larger ones are failing. I cannot seem to isolate the sweet spot - whether it's time or data size that is the break point. 

Hoping someone can suggest where I can look for the problem.

Thanks all!

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2018 11:00

Hi, Thank you very much for the reply, I have engaged Dell Tech support for this issue. I'll be following up with them. If I find something that might be of interest I'll post it to this thread. Thanks, Beth

• 

7.1K Posts

December 3rd, 2018 11:00

Hello bethacn,

When the write test fails does it provide you with an error code on your TL4000 or just in ITDT?  One thing that I would do is to get a drive dump from your drives so that I can review them to make sure that there is not a hardware issue.  I can send you a private message so that you can send me the drive dump logs so that I can review them.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

December 5th, 2018 07:00

Did you find the cause? I'm having the same problem and I'v tried just about everything.

February 9th, 2019 15:00

I messaged you last year about having the same problem. I opened a case also with Dell, but they didn't find any problems with the Tape hardware after several log uploads. I updated all the firmwares and drivers and tested all I could with no luck. I finally installed another server with Windows Server 2016 with no drivers for the drives and ran 20 times (on several tapes) the ITDT Full Write with no errors. I then installed the old Backup Server with Win2016 from scratch and ran the Full Write test on that. All of them were succesfull. I then installed the latest Netvault and have now been running our data to the tapes without problems. 

I wasn't able to determine the exact cause of the failures with the old server. My best guess is that it was some combination of hardware, Win2012R2 and/or Netvault software. Hope this helps you with your case.

BR / Jani Mäntysaari

No Events found!