Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

August 20th, 2018 02:00

MD 1220 virtual disk failure after configuring RAID 10

I have recently purchased a new MD 1220 storage with 6 HDD 1.8 TB each. After i configured RAID 10 through dell powervault modular disk storage manager it looked fine for 3 days but after three days there always occurs an issue saying that the virutal disk has been failed. Do you guys anyone have faced this issue?? Could any one help me to indentify the main reason behind the issue. Do i need to reboot the storage after i configure RAID??

• 

7.1K Posts

August 20th, 2018 09:00

Hello abeen,

Is your MD1220 connected to an MD3xxx system?   I ask this as you don’t use MDSM to configure your MD1220 as that is done using OME (Open Manage essentials) If you did connect your MD1220 to an MD3xxx then you will need to reboot your MD3xxx.  Also, if you look at the Recovery Guru are there any errors that are listed?

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

17 Posts

August 20th, 2018 21:00

Thanks for the response yes i have connected MD 1220 with MD3600f this case only occured in my DC side, in DR side i have done the same thing as of DC but DR side is working fine where i have managed through MDSM. Ok i will try rebooting both my MD1220 and MD3600f and will response you the result.

Thank you.

17 Posts

August 21st, 2018 02:00

Actually what my connectivity is i have connected new MD 1220 from old MD 1220 and my old MD 1220 is connected from 3600f so do i need to restart my whole SAN storage or only my old 1220 or my old 1220 and 3600f??

Can you help me with this?

• 

7.1K Posts

August 21st, 2018 06:00

Hello abeen,

When you connect a new enclosure to your current MD stack it is best to reboot the entire stack to ensure that all enclosures are seen correctly.  Here is the best way to reboot and power on your MD3xxx stack.

Power Down

1. Power down the server(s)
  2. Power down the MD3600f
  3. Power down any attached storage (MD12xx)

Power Up

1. Power on any attached storage (MD12xx)
  2. Power on the MD3600f (Let MD boot up for about 5 minutes)
  3. Power on the server(s)

17 Posts

September 5th, 2018 22:00

No Luck I did all the things as mentioned before i rebooted every DC part and the disk again failed after 9 days after configuration of RAID 10. And then i consulted with the vendor who provided me the storage and they suggested me to upgrade to firmware of every storages and enclosure? And if i upgrade the firmware version of every storages will it affect the storages? Will there occur any issue in the storage after I upgrade the firmware. I have no backup of the data that are stored in the storage. 

Help me sort out this issue?

• 

7.1K Posts

September 6th, 2018 09:00

Hello abeen,

What is the current version of firmware that is running on your MD3600f?  If you are running a outdated version of firmware then a firmware upgrade is best to ensure that the new enclosure is being seen correctly at all times.  You will need to stop all I/O when doing the firmware upgrade.  All your virtual disk will still be on your MD3600f.  When doing a firmware upgrade the virtual disk may not be accessible till the firmware upgrade completes.

17 Posts

September 6th, 2018 22:00

"07.80.41.60" is the firmware version of my MD3600f storage. And i want to know whats the reason behind the virtual disk failure issue regarding the new enclosure? Will this firmware upgradation process solves my virtual disk failure issue? And do we need to maintain every storage and enclousre with the same firmware version??

• 

7.1K Posts

September 7th, 2018 08:00

Hello abeen,

The firmware that you are running was released in April 2012.  With adding a new enclosure that is running newer firmware than your MD3600f you will need to upgrade the firmware so that it can be seen and stay connected.  When you upgrade the firmware on your MD3600f it will also upgrade the firmware on your MD12xx as well. 

Here are the links to the firmware as well as the steps to do the firmware.

Firmware

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=4CP5X

Resource DVD for new version of MDSM

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=R9G1X

Here are the steps for doing a firmware upgrade on an MD32xx/MD36xx

1. Gather support bundle in MDSM

1. WARNING: If you have a single controller PowerVault MD32xx/MD36xx series storage array you must stop all I/O operations before starting the firmware upgrade.

1. Extract the firmware to folders and remember location.

1. Burn or mount the ISO for the resource cd.

1. Uninstall the MDSM from hosts (reboot)

1. Install MDSM from resource DVD (reboot)

1. Save, then clear the Event Log.

1. Update to 07.75.28.60 if not already there, then update to latest firmware.

1. Verify connection and data.

1. Update the hard drive firmware.

1. Reboot stack and verify all is optimal.

A. Power off server, then MD32xxi, then any attached MD12xx units

B. Power on any attached MD12xx units

C. Wait at least two minutes then power on the MD32xxi

D. Wait at least 3 minutes then power on the server

Please allow for at least 60-85 minutes for the updates. Time may vary depending on how long each reboot takes.

17 Posts

September 9th, 2018 02:00

After monitoring the storage each time it gets failed the real issue i have seen in new enclosure is that there seems no any light indication on 2 of the HDD out of  6 HDD after the virtual disk gets failed (the other 4 HDD blinks with the green light indication). We have the same firmware version of MD 3600f in our DR side and we have just installed the MD 1220 at  DC and DR at the same time but what I want to clarify is that the DR sides storage is working fine without any issue and DC side storage is facing same virtual disk issue everytime. So will the firmware version upgradation can help us sort out the issue???? And i just want to know is there any problem with the 2 HDD in the DC side storage because there blinks no any light in that particular HDD after the virtual disk failed issue occurs.

• 

7.1K Posts

September 10th, 2018 09:00

Hello abeen,

A firmware upgrade should help with the errors that you are seeing.  Since your HDD in your MD1220 most likely have newer firmware on them that came out after your MD3600f, it is best to upgrade your MD3600f firmware so that it can talk to the drives correctly.  If you go to the major event log are you seeing any errors reported about either of those 2 drives, when the virtual disk lose connection?

17 Posts

September 10th, 2018 23:00

Thanks for the reply. First of all my MD 3600 f is the main storage and there are two enclosures attached to it.My first and second both enclosures are MD 1220. My first storage is the enclosure 1 and second storage is the enclosure 2 . And the HDD which I was talking about with no lights blinking on it is in the slot 1 and slot 2.So before the virtual disk gets failed in enclosure 2 there seems a critical error notifying as attached below:

Error Log.PNG

• 

7.1K Posts

September 11th, 2018 07:00

Hello abeen,

Can I get you to pull a support bundle so that we can look into making sure there is not another issue going on?  I will send you a private message so that you can email me the support bundle.

17 Posts

September 11th, 2018 21:00

Thanks I will email all the details to the support .

• 

7.1K Posts

September 12th, 2018 08:00

Hello Abeen,

Thanks for the support bundle and the other logs as well.  We are seeing a few different issues with your MD3660f.  We are seeing enclosure 2 rebooting as you stated, & wanted to know if you have tried using a different power outlet to see if the enclosure is still rebooting?  Also, is your power plugged into a UPS or rack power only?  If possible, can you try swapping power plugs or try swapping the power supplies in your MD1220 so that we can see if the issue follows your power supply or is a plug issue?

Secondly, we are seeing from the logs that it is reporting that your cabling of your enclosures is not correct.  For that we need to verify that your cabling is correct as you have shown in your Dell Storage word document.  What we needed to be done is to power down our MD stack (MD3660f, & both MD1220), & then verify that on your MD3660f your out ports on the controllers are going to the in ports on MD1220 enclosure 1.  If those are correct then verify that enclosure 1 out ports are going to enclosure 2 in ports. 

17 Posts

September 13th, 2018 21:00

Are you talking about the power issue is enclousre 2(MD1220) or about the RAID enclousre MD3600f??

No Events found!