Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 2nd, 2015 07:00

MD1000 and PE 2950 running Hyper-V 2012 R2

Hi all

I have just attached a Dell PowerVault MD1000 system to my Dell PowerEdge 2950. I am running Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V on the server. My question is..... Do I need to install drivers for the MD1000 unit to make the disks visible to Hyper-V? If so can someone provide me with links to the drivers to use for Hyper-V 2012 R2?

Regards

Gareth

May 4th, 2015 09:00

Hello, Gwinn.

In order to see the disks, and then create virtual disks, you'll need to install Open Manage Server Administrator OR, you can boot into the PERC for setup. (hopefully you're attached to a PERC 5/e or PERC 6/e)

You can find OMSA here: www.dell.com/.../drivers

THEN you can build the RAID, and carve out your volumes. Then those volumes will show up in Windows Disk Management, and you can format them.

Here's a link that will take you to a long list of pdf's for assistance in using OMSA.

www.dell.com/.../manuals

I hope this helps. Have a great rest of the day!

5 Posts

May 7th, 2015 13:00

documentation for the MD1000 and the Dell SAS 5/E controller seem to be fairly lacking. If anyone has any links to the user guides that would be very useful.

5 Posts

May 7th, 2015 13:00

I can see the disk in OMSA (SATA) I have added a SAS drive just to see if it see's that and it isn't showing up. I have noticed that the SAS 5/E controller is showing up as Non-RAID mode on in OMSA. How do I switch it to RAID mode as I want to run a RAID 5 configuration with hot spare?

I was hoping to split the MD1000 into two segments one set up as SAS RAID 5 and the other set up as SATA Non-RAID. Is this possible?

I couldn't see anywhere in OMSA to change the controller channels to RAID mode.

Cheers

5 Posts

May 15th, 2015 13:00

Is there a difference between a SAS 5e card and a PERC 5e card?

Does the RAID option on OMSA only appear for the 5e if there are 2 or more identical disks installed?

May 15th, 2015 14:00

Hello, Gareth.

Yes. There's a big difference. The SAS 5/e is a "pass through" card and is used when the "brain" (aka controller) is going to be on the storage array. (ig; MD3***'s).

a PERC 5/e, while it is a SAS connection, is a PowerEdge RAID Controller. (PERC) It is used when the storage controller will be on the server, and attached to a JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) like the MD1000, MD1200, etc.

I'm sorry I didn't catch that before. OMSA isn't going to work for a SAS 5/e. OMSA needs a PERC for creating a RAID set, and slicing up space for virtual disks.

13 Posts

May 16th, 2015 03:00

Also; the MD1000 isn't supported with a SAS5E card. This means that at best you may be able to pass the disks through to Windows, but this isn't guaranteed. I'd suggest to pick up a PERC6/E on Ebay or so and connect the MD1000 to that. The PERC6 series adds support for raid 6 (better/safer choice than raid 5 if you are using larger&slower drives in raid sets over 6 or 7 drives).

5 Posts

May 16th, 2015 04:00

I might try and pick up a PERC 5/e or 6/e on ebay if I can. Really need RAID functionality on the MD1000 and can't use windows to manage RAID as it's Hyper-V.

Is there any issues with running a PERC 6e card in the 2950 when you already have a PERC 6/I in there?

No Events found!