Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2009 05:00

MD3000i MPIO Drivers in Hyper-V Server R2 standalone

For install the MD3000i MPIO Drivers in Windows Hyper-V R2 standalone.

install miocpl utility.

ocsetup MultipathIo /norestart

copy the DSMDrivers directory from a different windows 2008 x64 installation of this driver.

from hyper-v R2 command prompt start mpiocpl -- tab DSM install --- DSM inf

install the driver from the directory where you have copyed the driver, md3driver.inf

now restart. the mpio for MD3000i is ready.

9.3K Posts

May 28th, 2009 06:00

Why not just install the software from the MD3000i CD? The host part is the minimum required part and only takes 8MB in disk space.

6 Posts

May 28th, 2009 11:00

Try.

The setup in the CD Root don't start in a enviroment without the GUI. you can start only the exe SM......exe inside the windows directory

The exe, besides, is not compatible with Hyper-V R2 and not install the mpio driver but only the DSM management software. Also if you choiche the full installation.

if you have tryed it please explain what version did you have used.

By

Renato

9.3K Posts

May 28th, 2009 14:00

Hyper-V R2 is beta/RC.

Till it's released and Dell releases a new CD with updated drivers, there probably won't be a properly working MPIO driver for this OS to work with the MD3000/MD3000i.

I wouldn't count too much on failover to work properly in your setup. In other words; don't use beta/RC software for production purposes. If it holds out and you're only running it to test it out, failover won't be that important anyway, so it doesn't matter too much.

6 Posts

October 13th, 2009 09:00

Hey,

When I follow these directions it adds several 19MB drives that shouldn't be there.  Is there some way to hide or remove these?

I notice the LUN shows as -1 when installed on a Windows 2008 server using the install CD, but when using your method it gets a valid LUN and adds a 19MB drive...

9.3K Posts

October 13th, 2009 10:00

Dell just released a new CD for the MD3000 and MD3000i that adds support for Windows 2008 R2. Are you using that CD?

6 Posts

October 13th, 2009 10:00

Yes, that CD does not support Hyper V Server 2008 R2

154 Posts

October 13th, 2009 15:00

As per their support matrix, Dell will not be supporting Windows Hyper-V Server 2008 R2. This is a separate stripped down version of the OS that is available for free from Microsoft. One can always purchase windows 2008 R2 (Enterprise, Standard, etc) and then load Hyper-V on that and that is OK.

-Mohan

2 Posts

October 26th, 2009 23:00

The support matrix says that "Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Core Standard and Enterprise" are supported.

Hyper-V Server is basically the same thing as Core. Can anyone confirm that the installer acts differently on Core than it does on Hyper-V server?

I've got the latest MD Storage Manager (2.1.66)  installed on Hyper-V server but still no MPIO or Host options during install.

6 Posts

October 27th, 2009 00:00

Install the latest MPIO (from host choice) in a full windows server 2008 also R2 and then copy the installed DSMDrivers directory in the standalone Hyper-V R2.

From mpiocpl you can install the driver (md3dsm.inf)   from DSM tab

Seam to be work but i think it is not supported and i don't know why

Bye

renato

2 Posts

January 29th, 2010 20:00

The MD3000 installation CD determines the OS by querying the "systeminfo" output and searching for "Microsoft" and "Windows" in the output.

In order to "trick" the install program I temporarily changed the "RegisteredOrganization" key in the registry (HKLM > Software > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion) to "OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2"

The install program then allowed me to install the mpio drivers straight off the CD and everything is working as expected...

Hope this helps.

March 3rd, 2010 15:00

This helps INSANELY. Why? Because it was driving me insane!

1 Message

March 4th, 2010 12:00

This is great information! Where can I find the MPIO drivers on the CD?

Also - should the changes in the registry also be implemented?

March 4th, 2010 13:00

Thankfully BACS will not team NICs with iSCSI, it will reject such crazy notions :emotion-2:

9.3K Posts

Be sure not to team the NICs that you're using for iSCSI.

And as far as MPIO drivers in R2, Microsoft provides the MPIO framework, which allows a vendor to put an actual driver in the framework to allow all capabilities of your SAN. Supposedly the MPIO framework will allow using MPIO drivers from different vendors for SAN connectivity to different brand of arrays at the same time. The fun part is that very few vendors test their MPIO drivers with those from other vendors to be able to 'guarantee' this, so you never really know if it'll be stable in the long run or not.

There are no needed MPIO drivers in R2, they use the stock ms ones. 

1. ocsetup MultipathIo /norestart
  2. regedit
  3. install host software
  4. iscsicpl
  5. all portals manually w/ advanced>

Also:

If using broadcom 5708/9C

1. ocsetup NetFx2-ServerCore
  2. ocSetup NetFx2-ServerCore-WOW64
  3. install updated drivers
  4. install BASP/BACS
  5. run BACS via c:\program files\Broadcom\BACS\bacs.exe to configure Teaming/offloading/etc.

No Events found!